Author Topic: Where did my water go?  (Read 3518 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Where did my water go?
« on: June 17, 2010, 14:42:55 »
Down here in the Wild West it's been very hot for days.  I have a 1000 gallon enclosed water tank which collects water all winter and should be enough to get me through the driest spell.  It is completely empty!

I checked about 3 weeks ago and it was at least 2/3 full if not more.  We've had a couple of hot spells and some very heavy rain since.  But when I turned on the tap last night it trickled out then stopped.

OH checked the tap for obstructions - all OK. Could it all have evaporated away in this wonderful weather...or perhaps, and here I think the unthinkable, have I been sharing my water?  The tank is attached to my shed, so not in any way a communal area.  I am putting this down to paranoia on my part.  We WILL have water being in Cornwall, so I am not going to sorry overmuch.  Nevertheless.........

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Alimo

• Acre
Re: Where did my water go?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 21:29:50 »
Hi Caro,

Sorry to hear of your disappearing water.. I don't think we'll get any rain for the next week - 10 days either... I'm in West Penwith - where are you?

Alison

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 22:26:28 »
Hi Alison

I'm here in the Tamar Valley,so almost Devon (wash out my mouth!).  The weather today has been tdf, as near perfect as it could be.  So I am not going to stress too much over a drop of missing water.  Made other arrangements and will survive.

Regards

Caro

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:44 »
Can you see into it in any way? Or poke something down to test the water level (a broom stick etc, just hold tight!)? That doesn't sound quite right. If it were leaking though, a hugely lush patch would probably give the game away...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 14:00:49 »
How's your neighbour's cabbages..growing strong..?..nice and lush?.. :-\

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 18:25:14 »
Hi

Antipodes, we even took off the tap and put our hands inside.  It is completely empty.  Goodlife, I just can't help wondering..... The thing is if anyone really needed some water they would be welcome.  It would just be nice to know I was contributing to the productivity of their plot.

Still, I am putting it down to evaporation.....saves on the blood pressure!!!!

Regards, Caro

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:32:53 »
If the tank is open I guess that is possible, but even my small open barrels do not evaporate at that rate. If the tank is closed, or semi closed, I would say that was impossible. Someone is nicking your water...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:02:16 »
I might consider putting some coloring in.  Say cocheneal or anything you use in cooking.  Beetroot water maybe.   This might put them off using it or stain their watering can.

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 12:25:36 »
As I've said before on these forums, I'm a Police Officer.
In my experience people will do stuff they shouldn't do because they are too lazy to sort things themselves (CBA as my kids would call it.)
So maybe a little prevention may be in order.

I looked up lockable taps and saw this.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/green-family-metal-water-faucet-tap-wlock-p-52082.html?currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=ukfroogle

or this for drums
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=139148&Referrer=froogle

Or this for plastic barrels
http://www.northerntooluk.com/material-handling/material-handling-accessories/lockable-drum-tap-3_4in-bsp_1805077E.html?afc=ShoppingSite&des=GoogleShop

Just a few ideas.

It may mean that you would know for sure that it isn't you going mad.
Maybe if you contacted your local CSO they would come up and do a bit of a show of checking the water storage, I cant imagine they would take a report for theft of water though as its been gathered from the sky so to speak.
A bit of visible crime prevention advice may go a long way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:27:48 by greenfists »
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 12:33:18 »
I think I would put weedkiller into it and see what happens.  Or perhaps just a notice saying it has weedkiller in it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 18:11:22 »
Someone's deffo choring it, I'd go along with a sign that warns them off.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 18:14:04 »
How mean - whenever I use my neighbour's barrel, I invariably fill it up for him and he does the same for me.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 22:22:46 »
Hi All

Thanks for your support in this, I expect it is happening in lots of places now.  OH has been very good lugging up water, and, so far, only my peas and garlic are suffering too much.  Greenfists, thanks a lot for your great links on lock-able taps, we have on on order already.

The suggestion on the colouring is great, wish I had thought of it a long time ago, as I had tiny suspicions 2 months back.

Anyway, A4A always comes up with some practical, new or novel and I just love it.

Thanks all

Regards
Caro

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal