Author Topic: Clinic(?) weedkiller - how long 'til safe to plant?  (Read 2702 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
Clinic(?) weedkiller - how long 'til safe to plant?
« on: June 15, 2010, 16:54:40 »
Just been down to view a potential new plot and found out it was sprayed 4 weeks ago with clinic weed killer...which as I garden organically I am not happy about  >:(

I know nothing about weed killers so could some insight please while I try and decide what to do   :-\

How long after spraying is it safe to start sowing seeds or transplanting?

Ta

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Clinic(?) weedkiller - how long 'til safe to plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 17:24:40 »
This link might help.

http://www.nufarm.com/UK/ClinicAce

As I see from what I have read about it, it is glyphosate based so it it is one of the least damaging of the herbicides as it neutralises as it comes in contact with the soil and only attacks plant life!

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 17:58:11 »
Thanks for that Tee Gee will have a look.

I have seedlings that could do with transplanting straight away so we were planning on digging later this week until I found out about the spraying. There are signs of life on the sprayed section - the bindweed and couch are starting to grow again by the looks of it...but there is also a patch of dock that looks very unwell - most of it has very pale white edges on it's leaves.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 19:18:59 »
sazhig, after four weeks it will have had as much effect on the weeds as it's going to have so there's no advantage to leaving the weeds to grow, and there's also no risk that anything you now plant will be poisoned with any remaining weedkiller as glyphosate needs to make contact with green growing leaves and becomes inactive after aplication.  However, it certainly is a shame the weedkiller was applied without your consent.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 19:46:37 »
sazhig, after four weeks it will have had as much effect on the weeds as it's going to have so there's no advantage to leaving the weeds to grow, and there's also no risk that anything you now plant will be poisoned with any remaining weedkiller as glyphosate needs to make contact with green growing leaves and becomes inactive after aplication.  However, it certainly is a shame the weedkiller was applied without your consent.
Thanks for that unwashed  :)

I haven't taken on the plot yet so technically it was theirs to spray as they wanted...but it would have been nice to have been asked 4 weeks ago if I wanted it before they sprayed  :-\

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 20:13:24 »
I haven't taken on the plot yet so technically it was theirs to spray as they wanted...but it would have been nice to have been asked 4 weeks ago if I wanted it before they sprayed  :-\
More than nice I'd suggest.  Of course I appreciate that the landlord was trying to do the new tenant a favour in preparing the plot, but there are many people with ethical objections to weedkillers so it's not unreasonable nowadays to expect to have the choice.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal