Author Topic: What time of year to buy a greenhouse?  (Read 1786 times)

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
What time of year to buy a greenhouse?
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:28 »
Hi,

Being new to the gradening scene, I am now thinking about buying a greenhouse. However:

Is it worth me buying one now, as I'm not sure if I will use it that much this late in the season? As I'm changing the garden this year, I might be better off using the space to store my other materials. I am also building some raised beds while I'm at it.

Will I be better off waiting until the end of the summer/autumn when there might be a sale on (skinflint that I am!!)

And if I buy an 8 x 6 greenhouse, and me being 6 ft tall, can I get away with putting the greenhouse down on pea gravel/slabs, or do I need to buy a base, so I don't keep bashing my head??!!

Sorry to bombard you with queries!!

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: What time of year to buy a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:55 »
I don't think greenhouses go any cheaper at the end of the season, but there are plennty second hand on ebay or like me got one from freecycle.

I'm 5ft 10, I do keep hitting my head on the auto vent, but otherwise, as I stand in the midddle with the plants on the lower outside, there is plenty of headroom.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 13:36:36 »
As I'm changing the garden this year, I might be better off using the space to store my other materials.

I would go this route then erect the greenhouse after all the changes have taken place.

And if I buy an 8 x 6 greenhouse, and me being 6 ft tall, can I get away with putting the greenhouse down on pea gravel/slabs, or do I need to buy a base, so I don't keep bashing my head??!!

I would build a dwarf wall with concrete blocks to sit the greenhouse on this would make a good base, more head room and best of all you can grow your tomatoes another truss higher.

You could even go to two courses of blocks if your pocket can go to this!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 21:11:14 »
I've just recently managed to pick up a second hand 6ft x 8ft greenhouse, as i'm 6ft 2" i had the same concern as you about always hitting my head so I used railway sleepers on edge to sit the frame on, thus giving me the extra head height I needed, plus easy to then fix the base down to.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 21:22:06 »
I got a bargain end of season one last year.  By the time it arrived the ground was thoroughly wet, then it was thoroughly frozen,  Then I was too busy digging new bit of allotment, then I was planting and sowing, weeding and hoeing and so the greenhouse is still sitting in a pile propped up beside the house.

The space I am going to put it is now five feet high in weeds.

I just hope that I can get the weeds killed and the footings down and get it up before the winter starts......

I shall started getting it erected manana.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal