Author Topic: Alex Higgins -snooker legend  (Read 1346 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Alex Higgins -snooker legend
« on: July 24, 2010, 21:37:03 »
Alex Higgins has died ,how sad he inspired me to watch snooker probably his own worst enemy but a joy to watch R.I.P. :-*
sanity is overated

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Alex Higgins -snooker legend
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 00:25:27 »
I liked him too and was sorry to hear of his passing.  A real legend.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:58 »
I am a great snooker fan, I played competitive snooker in my teens. When Alex came on the scene he just made the game so exciting, a genius in my opinion. So sad to see his decline at such a young age, RIP Alex.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 20:08:15 »
How sad he died so alone, he gave us all such pleasure watching him.
God Bless him, may he rest in peace.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:01:38 »
He brought a breath of fresh air to snooker.  When you watched the boring Cliff Thorburn, and Steady Eddy, he really livened the game up, and made it watchable.

I remember the snooker finals which were interrupted by the siege of the Iranian Embassy, and the jokey headline that Alec Higgins smoked more Embassies than the SAS.  Sadly it was the ciggies that kiled him.

A sad loss, and he really livened up the game.

valmarg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:58 »
I remember him playing when his leg was in plaster, he made me laugh, it's a sad loss  :-\

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 21:05:14 »
As an entertainer he was the bees knees. I remember him on the old 'Pot Black' it was a laugh. Total entertainment.

Snooker got serious when Steve Davis started to win everything, Nothing against Steve, he was brilliant as a player.

We got some free tickets to watch early rounds of a tournament some years ago.

We got in, reasonably early but the area where Alex was playing was full. The rest of the area had only a token number of people watching.

My view is that Alex got the interest in snooker going and those super stars today are only able to get the fantastic prize money available because of the interest Alex gave the sport to start with.

Not an easy man out of the arena to get on with. He had a passion on the table and a temper off it, the fags and booze took their inevitable toll. I am glad that I had the privilege to watch him play in his prime. RIP

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 19:55:04 »
I used to love watching Alex and Jimmy White, I wouldn't bother watching these days.  :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal