Author Topic: After school classes or sports as a kid , what did you do!!  (Read 2358 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I often think nowadays Mums should have taxi on the back of their cars as they are running kids all over the place for various classes, training sessions etc, there was not such a choice when I was a kid. I did dance and elocution, even managed a bit of pro stage work  as a teenager from it, pantos etc. I even looked like Shirley Temple for goodness  sake with my ringlet hair in rags every night!!

What did you all do?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

poohs tao

• Not So New ...
  • bristol
Re: After school classes or sports as a kid , what did you do!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 22:46:42 »
the girls friendly society  ::) which was easy as it was a 20min walk away in our villsge. mind you living in a village 30yrs ago meant there was lots to do x

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 23:12:25 »
I was a Brownie, then a Girl Guide.  After school we generally did our "sport" by playing outside on roller skates or scooters (too poor for a bike!)-oh, and two baller against the coalhouse door!

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:27:56 »
I was born in the mid seventies & an only child; because I didn't have in-house playmates and my school-friend's didn't live locally I participated in at least one after school club each weekday. (Swimming, roller derby, piano lessons, trampoline, drama/theatre workshop, tennis, badminton, squash etc. I refused to get involved in 'girls' clubs like The Brownies). 

By the time I was 12 & started to secondary school I was able to take myself where I need to go via public transport, :D so my activities increased. ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 02:02:16 »
We played in the woods, tried to re-route the creek, built forts, caught butterflies up in the field past the woods, biked, sang in the school and church choirs, scouts, sewed our own dresses, had sleep-overs. Then in high school there were many clubs, student govt, yearbook committee, and talent shows etc. We rode the bus or walked to everything.

Oh- and after school jobs: babysitting and I had summer jobs working in a gift store, as an aide in a nursing home and typing envelopes for a dirt hauling firm- joy, joy.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:42:28 »
After School activaties.....eeer!.....Detention mostly....... ;)   ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:49:53 »
No, I lived 30 miles from school in the country.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:54:16 »
Nothing, when I was at secondary school teachers were not running anything, usually because they were on strike for more pay.

I did regularly have swimming lessons outside of school and lernt to play Chess at Junior school though. Later it was Girl Guides.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 15:41:33 »
ooh, loads, when I was in junior school, I was a member of the rechabites sp?, brownies and my local sunday school, ..went to the methodist youth club...went out playing every night and rode my bike everywhere
when I went to high school, I played tennis, hockey, netball, did gymnastics,and field sports such as throwing the hockey ball  ::)
it was a grammar school so they tried to turn me into a lady, taught me to sign a cheque book and tried to teach me elecution  ;D ;D ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 17:05:45 »
In my day etc etc   ;D  ;D

I went to a sports mad school and we did games or PE every day at school
Monday - lesson of PE, Tuesday - Rugby or cricket training , Wednesday - Interhouse games, Thursday - Rugby or Cricket training, Friday - PE and Saturday afternoon (we had saturday school) was Interschool games.
We cycled to school and surprisingly home again.  CCF was compulsary for two years after school and we have three lots of homework a night.

Natch I was too knackered to do boy scouts, there was no afterschool activity (except CCF) so we cycled around Pompey till we got into trouble or we smoked fags by the bus stop like everyone else..until we could get into the Festing and have a sly pint..
Happy days..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

happygardner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 18:56:22 »
goodness me poohs tao takes me back I used to belong to The Girls Friendly Society GFS for  short We used to do country dancing Our next door neighbour used to run it we used the village hall We had a lot of fun there THOSE WERE THE DAYS Never used to be afraid to go anywhere Such a shame children arent allowed to go anywhere or do anything as I used to                 
may all your days be happy ones

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 19:27:12 »
Hi, I also meant you to include thing that were not connected to school, I guess I worded it badly.. so things your Mum for you to go to..like my dancing..or community group things.. did anyone take riding lessons , piano, skating,ballet,foorball, etc.?

Manics, I remember the cheque writing lessons at my school, and it had to be in fountain pen..I still use one to this day!!

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 19:48:13 »
I just stayed at home and did my homework-Latin Grammar and then in the 6th form a keen student of Maths,Physics and Chemistry.

I do tell fibs by the way ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 20:34:30 »
We had to use a fountain pen and were taught how to get out of a car without showing our knees..I later went for deportment lessons, Jeannine..this for a kid who lived in a terraced house with an outside loo, I was ribbed something rotten  ;D
forgot about the horse riding lessons, didn't have jodphurs so my legs were like spam after the first one  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 20:55:02 »
Did we go to the same school :D Mum took me of of regular school in my  early teens  and put me in a private one, it is there I learned about such things..oh and the hankie..a  lady carries a fresh clean hankie at all times, and I still do that too..in fact I have a huge collection of ladies hankies!!

XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 21:25:02 »
hahaha, doubt it, ours was more like St Trinians, we were all rebellious, the head used to make some of the pupils in assembly kneel down so she could measure how high their skirts were above the knee..sorry, off topic  ;D
when I turned 15, I was a sunday school teacher  ;D

Manouche

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 21:53:57 »
We were council house kids but had a great time after school all meeting up on the green. We shared our bikes which were made up of bits of scrap bikes, roller skates and hula hoops. There were always loads of neighbours dogs running loose so we'd all go adventuring up to the woods and run through the stream having a great time.
I do remember we all got together and built a cart with wooden box for a seat and old bike wheels. we called it firebird and I gave it it's first trial run down the hill crashed it got cut up a bit and got a big whack from mum for doing something dangerous and ripping my dress. we were quite poor at that time but we worked in our garden as did all the kids so we knew where our food came from too.
Yeah happy evenings after school what memories.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 22:15:35 »
We used to call those carts bogeys XX Jeannine

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 23:45:24 »
Oh- I forgot about the white hankie!

Mom taught us piano but we never became as good as she was (she'd had lessons)
and no  ice skating lessons, just learned the hard way. No money for skiing or horseback riding which I would have liked. I did teach myself the uke and moved up to guitar and had a grand time playing that.
Also learned that if you carry a big guitar case around you meet some interesting guys!

Did any of you clothespin a trading card onto the bike wheel so it hit the spokes and made you sound like you had a real engine?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal