Author Topic: Warning to Dog Owners.  (Read 2317 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Warning to Dog Owners.
« on: June 09, 2010, 20:23:32 »
 We found our Collie (Molly) with a very bloody neck this evening! On closer inspection there was a small tick which I removed, and I found a huge lump with a raw area with a small slit in the middle. The vet thinks it is a secondary infection from a snake bite probably, and a collegue to the vet said she had seen something very similar last week (on another collie). I suppose the hot weather may have brought the adders out. (I know nothing of these creatures.) Molly goes to daughters livery yard at least twice a week, and is walked by a golf course daily by me, all possible areas for snakes.
Be aware dog walkers all.
Smile, it confuses people.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Warning to Dog Owners.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 20:35:18 »
Oh...be aware indeed...adder bite can be serious even for humans...they are shy things and normally 'run' away but when supprised they will bite..I've been closed many times when berry picking in forest..not in this country though...
In Finland where foraging for berries and mushrooms from wild is popular, people are advised to carry sort of 'anti-adder bite ' tablets with them...healthy adults may get painfull bite but with kids and adults with any other health complaints it can be more serious matter...

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Warning to Dog Owners.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 23:19:26 »
Adders sunbath on sunny banks and in patches of sunshine so thats where to keep alert. They dont bite unless disturbed. We always call our dogs off when they show a sudden compelling interest in something, its usually something alive ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal