Author Topic: To pollinate or not to pollinate?  (Read 2493 times)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
To pollinate or not to pollinate?
« on: June 09, 2010, 17:37:43 »
I expect this is a dumb question that has been asked a million times before but I can't find a conclusive answer anywhere!

I have a few different pepper/chilli plants in my greenhouse. Apache, Colour Spectrum, Sweet Ingrid, Medina (grafted) and Chocolate. Many are now showing flowers. I have read dozens of books, searched far too many websites to find out if these plants need any human intervention in terms of pollination. Some say yes, tickle with a paintbrush, some say no, you might damage them. 

So, lest I suffer the slings and arrows of a very anticipatory OH ("you can have a greenhouse if you grow me some strawberries and some peppers") I need to know, to pollinate or not to pollinate? That is my question.

Glen

• Quarter Acre
Re: To pollinate or not to pollinate?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 17:49:58 »
Hi OberonUK.

This is only my second year growing chilli's, so I am no expert!

Last year I tried to pollinate my plants with a paint brush with little success. This year I have left well alone and let nature take its course and I now have lots of chilli's on all 15 of my plants. I do tend to give the plants a little shake in the afternoon's to help with pollination.

Also my plants are now outside - so I suppose the wind and insects will also help with pollination. If you are growing in a greenhouse you may need to give them more of a helping hand, as there will be little breeze or insects to help.

Like I say I am no expert and I am sure some one with more knowledge will be along soon to give you a more definitive answer.  :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 18:43:19 »
I let them get on with it and it seems to be fine - I have been doing them for a few years and haven't had to get involved. They are mostly in a cheap lastic greenhouse but there are loads of hoverflys and bees in there during the day.
Some people do mist the plants to encourage fruit set I believe so you can try that if you don't get any fruit..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 18:48:05 »
no need to... ;D ;)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 13:17:31 »
Many thanks. I'll continue to mist in the mornings and other than that let nature take her course. I'll report back as and when I get any peppers to harvest!

arko

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 13:35:12 »
Chillies are self-pollinating. There is no real need to do this and also you run the risk of cross-pollination. I tend to just give the trunk a shake to agitate the pollen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal