Author Topic: Where exactly is your allotment - North London  (Read 2790 times)

belairebel

• Not So New ...
  • I am a Dog Lover and proud of it! Pic of my curren
Where exactly is your allotment - North London
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:31 »
Mine is in Birchen Grove, NW London, inside the Welsh Harp Nature Reserve. It is a large site, about 40 plots, half of which, like mine, are 5 rod plots.
The "top end" are all half size plots.

We have no toilets, only get a skip once or twice a year but do have water.

It is a heavy clay site with poor drainage but very fertile. One of the biggest problems is theft although we are convinced, now, that this is an allotment holder who is "going shopping" when there is nobody here.

It is owned and run by Brent Council although one of the allotment holders acts as (unpaid) overseer. Good thing they don't pay him - he doesn't do anything!

I recently complained to the Council about the briars which make using the paths around the allotments life threatening. I am sick and tired of ripped clothes and torn arms and legs. Last year, they took on an unemployed man for 3 months and one of his jobs was to cut them back. If they would also keep down the weeds on the vacant plots, life would get a lot easier!

I cannot understand how they can say there is a waiting list but still, plots sit vacant. They are very quick, however, to send out a "Non-cultivation Notice" to current plot holders, if they think there is too much overgrowth on the allotment!

We pay £41.00 p.a.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Where exactly is your allotment - North London
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 16:02:22 »
Hi Belairebel, I bumped the London location to the top so you can see how close your neighbours are.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:26:24 »
Think yourself lucky you have the Brent Brook between you and me.  8)

belairebel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 15:44:31 »
Eristic - not sure what your comment means.....it sounds vaguely threatening.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:43:44 »
If you take the trouble to look on a decent map of your location all will be revealed.

belairebel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:29:57 »
I've had a good look on Google Earth several times and can't work out what you mean.  The little brook runs at the bottom of the allotments and there are houses across the brook. One of them is directly behind my allotment and they own a golden Labrador who has appeared on my allotment several times. His owners obviously have no idea that he's worked out how to 1) get out of thier garden and 2) get onto the allotments. They should, because if he goes just a few feet to the left he will be out into the play area next to us and from there - he will be away. It has an open gate.

Do you live in one of the houses? If we are doing anything that upsets you, please let me know.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal