Author Topic: Club root?  (Read 884 times)

Julie Q

• Not So New ...
Club root?
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:53 »
On the first day at my new allotment, an old salt dropped by to tell me not to bother with cabbages, sprouts or cauliflowers because the allotments had 'club root'.

The guys next door to me (also newcomers) have cabbages that look great (obviously I cant see the roots).......but every so often I see the old guy look over as if to say "I told 'em, they'll learn" lol

Has anyone had any experience of this stuff? (club root, not smiling old guys). Is it as bad as the articles I've read make it appear to be?

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Club root?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 13:19:29 »
I have clubroot, however you can still grow cabbages etc you just have to take extra precautions.

One way is to grow the plants in pots (such as biodegradable ones) until they are quite large, this allows the plants to have a good root system before they meet the soil, also you could plant into a hole filled with multipurpose compost again giving the roots a chance.

There is also club root resistant varieties you can try these with growing in pots should give you a chance, give it a go and impress the old fools.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 15:25:25 »
And sprinkle a little lime into the planting holes, the old salts tell me.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 15:29:34 »
Some say drop a chunk of rhubarb in the planting hole as you plant.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Julie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 18:08:30 »
Thank you for those tips. :)

That's the second time I've heard the rhubarb one. Just so happens we've planted rhubarb at the bottom of the lotty....... now If I can just get some before it ends up on the kitchen table covered in custard....... haha

Definitely feeling more confident about getting some spring cabbage now :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal