Author Topic: Moving a Gunnera  (Read 10508 times)

cripery

• Not So New ...
Moving a Gunnera
« on: June 06, 2010, 21:32:39 »
Hi There,

We are moving house in the next couple of months and have the most beautiful Gunnera, I have been growing it for 5 years and it is a monster. Can anyone tell me if a) I can dig it up in the summer b) Any tips on doing so (if it is even possible).

Thanks very much :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Moving a Gunnera
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:52:29 »
Hi,

it's not a good time to move it, but if your really really have to, then water it well, dig around a BIG root ball and keep it moist until you can replant it, then replant in good soil and keep moist.  Idea is that most of the roots don't get any disturbance & don't know they are being moved.

best time to move it is early spring, when it's dormant.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:34 »
Personally I would buy another one right now, put it in a large pot and let it grow over the next couple of months, take that with you, it will be easier all round and will probably take a lot better.
Best laid plans and all that

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 14:27:39 »
Wear thick gloves  ;D sorry, couldn't resist that one  ::)  ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 14:34:49 »
I have moved few large ones but it is hard work..and the planting hole have to be really sodden and fertile before hand...
Could you find a 'side shoot' that you could take instead..they will grow large again very quickly and you do save yourself a lot of back ache..
I would forage for few..you said it is large..so it should not be problem...dig/chop some of those up..pot them and keep it in bucket with little standing water at the bottom..like minibog..and in no time they will have put lots of roots and ready for ground...you may get more than you bargain for.. ;)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 15:11:09 »
How big is this plant as they get HUGE !!   :o

Will have a small root if you chop a bit off by mistake  ;D
i don't belive death is the end

cripery

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 19:36:19 »
Thanks to everyone, its probably about five foot tall by five foot wide (including leaves) so not as massive as some get. I think I will try moving it as I can't bear to leave it behind and the tips you have all given me are great, I will try to keep moist and dig around the big root ball.

Thanks again  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 23:47:43 »
 Monty Don, once said you can move most plants anytime.

A     leave as much soil as possible round the roots

B    put it in sacking to move it, lay a very large piece on the ground & get as much soil as you can.

C water the hole before you plant it , feed & mulch it well.
 That was his very good advice.
Good luck with moving it.

I really regret not taking some of my large plants when we moved, we had a beautifull corkscrew hazel i left behind  :'( :'(, besides other lovely plants.
Let us know how you get on with it i would like to know its progress ;D.

cripery

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 20:35:56 »
Thanks Rosebud, that does sound like a good idea, I will post once it's moved, it maybe a while but at least we have sold our house - yeah  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal