Author Topic: carnivorous water boat men?  (Read 2577 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
carnivorous water boat men?
« on: June 06, 2010, 20:41:11 »
I had lots and lots of tadpoles but today - very few. I saw a waterboat man thing appearing to have hold of a tadpole tail and swimming with it (certainly looked that way round). Could this be killing my tadpoles?
I am so sad - I was really looking forward to lots of frogs!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: carnivorous water boat men?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 20:05:01 »
It seems they do eat tadpoles as well as fish. 
See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/428.shtml

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 22:28:01 »
Thanks for that info Pauline - thats very depressing though - I want some tadpoles and frogs!! I see that frogs eat waterboat men but I have to get the frogs first!!

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 23:43:01 »
Tadpoles eat water boatmen and visa versa, this balances the eco system in a pond. After losing my last two twenty year old Koi to a fox I decided not to restock, the tadpole population last year was phenomenal, we had to brush the thumbnail sized frogs off the lawn before we mowed it, everytime I weeded the garden the froglets would be jumping around. This year is no exception. I love frogs but draw the line at them jumping on my hands. My frogs are also averse to eating slugs and snails as I am inundated with the b------rs. Next year I shall be taking a few bucketfuls of frogspawn to the local canal as my garden is overrun.   
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 23:49:59 »
It is normal for tadpole populations to drop as they mature, they eat each other.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal