Author Topic: What veg you do not eat?  (Read 11253 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: What veg you do not eat?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 20:28:12 »
I can't think of any vegetable I actually dislike. But there are quite a few I don't choose to eat that often: cabbage, for starters - although I love sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli in its various forms and even kale. I like beetroot, but only when it's young, and then only occasionally. Celery is OK - more of a herb than a vegetable.

But I love all the others. Only 5-a-day? I feel deprived if I've got less than that per meal!

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 20:55:31 »
Parsnips, Beetroot and Swede.
(although I am growing a yellow beetroot to see if I like that, Burpee's Golden I think it is)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 21:10:35 »
I hate leeks, cabbage, radishes, spinach and asparagus. Not keen on onions or garlic.  I like swede but my inside objects violently as it does with turnip.  Not keen on peas except mangetout or very young ones straight from the pod.  Not keen on many types of potatoes Maris Piper and Romano are disgusting.    A small amount of lettuce or rocket goes a very long way.  

I am not sure that if you do not like beetroot that the yellow ones are much different.  If anything the beetrooty flavour is more intense.  Choggia is a bit different you eat it raw.  

I love beans, broccolli and cauliflowem tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, beetroot and desiree potatoes.  And of course lots and lots and lots of courgettes  I love braised celery and raw celery and any other celery. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 21:14:58 by Digeroo »

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 21:18:35 »
Celery, it's the most hated veg.

and sprouts.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 21:38:25 »
I really dislike slabs of cooked celery, the flabby sour taste of it. OK raw and crisp, or as an addition to soup in small slices.

Artichokes (globe?) seem to be really disliked, but are one of my favourites, especially the young delicate ones with no choke. Sadly most of mine died this winter, so I have started off a large new set from seeds (thank you those who sent me some).

Have never appreciated turnips, though mashed swede is all right. Asparagus peas are pointless, but I am surprised at how many people dislike real asparagus. A heaped plateful, lightly cooked, with a herby butter to dip them in, is wonderful.

Can't think of anything else I dislike - I could eat three meals a day of fresh green and coloured vegetables, squeeze of lemon, grating of nutmeg, a little butter and salt......

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 21:42:58 »
sprouts and celery

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 22:18:11 »
Chard and really hot chilli peppers.

Ninny

small

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 23:15:17 »
Broad beans.  Can't stand the texture, it's the only veg OH dislikes as well.  Made for each other!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 18:55:01 »
i was wondering when the sprout haters would weigh in - gak! Hey didge, glad to find another picky veg-eater. I'm a northern girl so I didn't even know what a courgette was till I was in my twenties. Mostly, veg were no-go areas unless they came in a tin and even now, I don't eat brassicas, or asparagus or aubergine. Like celery but mainly grow loads and loads of spuds, tomatoes and onions. If I could grow biscuits though....

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 19:09:16 »
Broad beans.  Can't stand the texture, it's the only veg OH dislikes as well.  Made for each other!

I can understand your dislike of broad beans, when you see what is for sale fresh in the shops.  They are horrid, and even when blanched and skinned are no better.

For the past few years we have been growing Imperial Green Longpod, and picking them while the beans are very small and tender. A completely different animal.  Would recommend them, even to hardened dislikers like you and your OH small ;D

valmarg

small

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 19:59:21 »
Thanks, Valmarg, might give those a try - I love growing bb's (for my parents), I think they are really attractive to look at - any snags with Imperial Green Longpod?

splot

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 20:02:39 »
I don't eat Cauliflower any more because it gives me terrible trapped wind!  I don't like aubergines.  I will eat everything else cus my mum told me to eat my vegetable like a good girl  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 20:03:10 »
I used to grow broadies for my mum in law until we found out she can't eat them as they make her anaemic  :-\
not keen, myself

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 22:21:09 »
Thanks, Valmarg, might give those a try - I love growing bb's (for my parents), I think they are really attractive to look at - any snags with Imperial Green Longpod?

Other than 'can't get enough' no snags. ;D  Very good variety, with plenty of small green beans.  Can thoroughly recommend.

valmarg

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 22:23:37 »
Broad Beans but other half loves them so I am growing a few for him. :)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 22:42:04 »
Broad beans!!!

They're evil!

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 23:07:05 »
Have you cooked celery haters tried braising it in chicken stock? Luverly.
Nothing I don't like but some that don't like me...celeriac and jerusalem artichokes for a start. They give me chronic wind. :-X
Smile, it confuses people.

wicksyla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 21:10:52 »
yeah i hate celery too, OH loves it tho but cant bring myself to grow that, does anyone else hate hate hate the smell of tomato plants or is that just me, lol. i love tomatoes but OH has to do anything involved with touching the plant cos i cant do it.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 22:17:37 »
With regard to broad bean-haters, I can uderstand their dislike, when you see what is on offer as fresh broad beans.  The beans are so large, and when boiled and skinned they are horrid.  Very good for fibre intake, but horrid.

If you grow your own bbs you are in charge of when they are picked.  In our case with Imperial Green Longpod, we pick them when the bens are just showing in the pods.  Very small juicy beans.  I would defy the bb haters to dislike them.

valmarg

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 22:31:24 »
omg I had no idea so many people hated celery!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal