Author Topic: New kitten advice  (Read 2960 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
New kitten advice
« on: June 04, 2010, 19:09:58 »
I have inherited a nine week old male kitten from my daughter.  She got it even though she knew she wasn’t allowed one where she lives.  She’s has it for 5 days, the landlord found out and it’s either move out or get rid of the kitten, so good old mum stepped up.  Trouble is I have a 4 ½ year old deaf, partially sighted female cat.  She is a very friendly cat, very docile.  My daughter bought the kitten round to us mid week to show us and the cat did nothing but hiss at it.  Is this normal and how do I go about socializing them?
Also I am due to go on holiday August 14 – 28th.  I use a cattery for my cat but will they take a kitten at 19 weeks old?  I have tried ringing them but there is no answer which is common for them as they are always busy.  The vets have said that they would give the kitten it’s vaccinations so that’s not a problem.

Julie

Alimo

• Acre
Re: New kitten advice
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 22:12:07 »
As long as the kitten has had all it's vaccinations there shouldn't be a problem with the cattery - unless they don't have the room!!

I don't know what advice to give you re your older cat getting used to the kitten..  I suppose I'd just leave them to it, and hope that your girl can get used to him - I'd have to put her first tho (if it was me) and if she really couldn't get on then he'd have to be found a new home.   I think all the hissing was her putting him in his place.

Alison

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:55:45 »
As long as the kitten has had all it's vaccinations there shouldn't be a problem with the cattery - unless they don't have the room!!

I don't know what advice to give you re your older cat getting used to the kitten..  I suppose I'd just leave them to it, and hope that your girl can get used to him - I'd have to put her first tho (if it was me) and if she really couldn't get on then he'd have to be found a new home.   I think all the hissing was her putting him in his place.

Alison

We're definitely putting her first because she's the one that feels put out I guess.  Last night she slept upstairs and now won't come down and the kitten slept in her bed.  We shall see.
Julie

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:17:00 »
Just give them time and they will probably be friends in the long run; hopefully before you go on holiday so they can share the same cage in the cattery. 

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 15:05:44 »
Just give them time and they will probably be friends in the long run; hopefully before you go on holiday so they can share the same cage in the cattery. 

Spoke to the cattery this morning they said it would be better for them to have separate enclosures.  Although you would think that this will be twice the expense it isn't.  It was £131 for 2 weeks for one cat it is now £182 for them both.  I don't actually mind the cost or the distance to it - 40 miles - because we have used this cattery for 5 years now after trying several others.  They have their own 'rooms' with a cat flap for them to go outside if they wish.  It's lovely there are so are the owners and I would recommend it to anyone. 

http://www.conistonhousekennels.co.uk/

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 13:28:33 »
Just came across this and wondered how your older cat was getting on with the kitten these days.  That's if you still have the kitten of course.

I've noticed that Felix our 'tame' allotment cat is not very keen on Triangle the semi-feral kitten getting too close to him.  He doesn't hiss at her but bats her with his paw if she gets too close to him.  I don't know if that's normal or not as cat behaviour is all new to me. ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal