Author Topic: whats up with my chillies  (Read 2131 times)

staris

• Acre
whats up with my chillies
« on: June 04, 2010, 00:16:41 »
i overwintered some chillies, naga, bolivian rainbow, scotch bonnet and apache , they were growing great and were kept at work until about a month ago when i put them into my polytunnel , but some some reason since i moved them they have stopped growing it looks like they haven't grown at all in the last month.
there was a bit of a cold spell when i first put them in there but surely they should have picked up by now, they were all put into bigger pots with fresh manure, any ideas ?  :)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: whats up with my chillies
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 00:34:48 »
Do you usually use that amount of 'fresh' manure for peppers?

If it usually works then you probably don't use much more than a few percent in the mix. If you do use more and it still works then the manure probably isn't 'fresh' in the sense that most gardeners would understand - more likely it is actually well rotted ie. it is over 12 months since it last saw the wrong end of a horse...

If this is the first time you have used significant quantities of genuinely fresh manure then the answer is simple - you've burned all the root hairs off your plants and they may not survive - even if you immediately transplant them into rooting compost and cross all your extremities...

Whoops!

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

staris

• Acre
Re: whats up with my chillies
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 19:30:06 »
my mistake it's meant to read fresh compost not manure, there is a bit of manure at the bottom of the pot but it's well rotted and the same stuff i used last year with great success, the plants look healthy enough there are just not growing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal