Author Topic: Am I on the right track?  (Read 1969 times)

jsheard

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Am I on the right track?
« on: September 16, 2003, 18:53:21 »
A couple of weeks ago, you nice people decided me in favour of taking on an allotment.  Oh yes you did - we may have words later ;)

I had to do a rough brush-cutter clearance of the site, to see what I had.  There are a number of beds, and a rather nice brick-built complex of 'shed', paved area, raised beds, water trough and compost container.  I have cleared this area (my priority always being somewhere to have a smoke and a coffee).  I have started a pile of compost.  Peed on it a few times.  Lost a couple of pounds.

I have now started tackling the beds - which is where I feel less confident.  The soil in these seems rather good (dark, nice smell, soft and moist-crumbly).  I have weeded out two of these.  I reckon (=guess) that they could do with a bit more depth, so - and since I'm not planting until next year - I have covered these two with cardboard, a layer of manure, and a top layer of straw.

Am I on the right track?  Or have I already done something stupid?

Jim
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Am I on the right track?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 22:15:07 »
Sounds ok to me. The No digging brigade do exactly that, pile as much mulch on the soil as possible, cover it to stop it blowing away and then plant through the covering (newspaper, cardboard, whatever). Have fun.
Gardening is the great leveller.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re: Am I on the right track?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 01:12:09 »
Hi jsh
Words?   :o Words?!  Never!  We lottie folk are far too nice  ;)

I might have suggested putting the manure first, then straw then cardboard on top as the manure and straw will usually rot down faster and then the cardboard can go on the compost heap next year.  Provided it is weighted down the cardboard then will keep the manure and straw in place in the winter months... but each to their own!  Any mulching will maintain and improve the soil structure and keep weeds at bay.  Watch for the dreaded slugs though!  
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal