Author Topic: lily beetle  (Read 3483 times)

fi

• Half Acre
lily beetle
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:58:47 »
thought that this pesky beetle would not have survived this cold winter. but no, they are back. think i will repot lilies with all new compost and see if that reduces the numbers.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: lily beetle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:27:21 »
You need to pick and squish every adult you see and be vigilant for gungy pooey messes under the leaves which are the larvae chomping and exceting foliage and flower buds.  You can blast tehse off with a spray of water from your garden hose or squish whilst wearing rubber gloves.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, or maybe seeing on TV, that afternoon/tea time is when they are most active and visible.  It helps to hold a cup under the adults as you try to catch them as they have a defense mechanism of falling doggo on their backs which makes them invisible on the compost or soil.
Obxx - Vendée France

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:10:32 »
thought that this pesky beetle would not have survived this cold winter. but no, they are back. think i will repot lilies with all new compost and see if that reduces the numbers.
I've had to be a "super squisher"in recent years but I repotted the lot in fresh compost and to date have only seen and squished one,so fingers crossed.I'm sure it hasn't solved the problem but it certainly appears to have helped  :)
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:16:14 »
I've only squashed about a dozen so far... all in pots... not seen any on the frits in the garden... so the cold seems to have helped...  :-X

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 15:17:39 »
Oh If it only would be so simple ::)...changed the soil...squashed..and the bleeders are still popping up everywhere..and not only near my lilies ::)...so there is only one thing to do...which I would not like to result..I'm going to give one spray..and that should knock majority out..and then what ever comes after that I should cope with my trusty fingers ;D

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 20:32:17 »
Never mind finger squashing, try tweezers, if you are really lucky you can squash two at a time. They have survived in the soil in my garden despite the harsh winter, and I too will resort to a systemic spray if my tweezers fail to eradicate the horrible things. In my opinion the come a close second to the vine weevil.

Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 15:17:36 »
Queenbee... at least they're a tad easier to spot.  ;D (Please God let vine weevils evolve dayglo yellow stripes... )

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 20:25:20 »
Not had them yet! Old compost, plants been there since last year.... none then, none now and hopefully none this year. Just in case anyone thinks this area is free from them, just up the road (about 50 yards) a friend is beginning the annual battle.

Now vine weevil, that's a different matter, can't grow fushias, geraniums, busy lizzies. They kill heucheras even if they are in the ground. Mint is now all in hanging baskets as the evil little b*****s can't climb. This makes a lovely display though :)

And don't get me going on slug and snails......next doors ginuea pigs...... :-X
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 23:31:50 »
...Now vine weevil, that's a different matter, can't grow fushias, geraniums, busy lizzies. They kill heucheras even if they are in the ground. Mint is now all in hanging baskets as the evil little b*****s can't climb. ...

Watch out for vine weevil, even in hanging baskets. I've had the vine weevil beetle hiding during daytime in hanging baskets, in folds in the liner. I suppose they would have laid eggs in the soil in the basket. Tried a trap one year, just black fabric scrunched up in a dry place, they definititely like to hide in places like that during the day.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 21:35:30 »
All confirmed vine weevil free at least for this year....frost almost killed the ginger mint but it will recover.

Had vine weevil in containers on the wall before but the hanging baskets only come down for half hour it takes to divide the mint and renew the compost. Never give them a chance.....a trap sounds great until I think about just how many places they have to hide :(

Oh well, I'll live  ;)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 23:17:26 »
Mint is now all in hanging baskets as the evil little b*****s can't climb.

Of course they can climb. They run up the wall, walk accross the ceiling and scoot down the other side in a matter of minutes.

To stop vine weevil from being a problem you have to switch to mineral based composts.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 20:32:12 »
Mineral based compost?

I use peat free......you know compost surprise!

I think we are wandering off topic..... :)

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 00:27:15 »
Horrid little beasts. I found them three or four weeks ago on my snakeshead fritilliary, having a good old chomp.  They have now moved into the lily tubs and I do a search every time I pass by. It is an ongoing battle but worth itbut of course I finish up with little red squidgy marks on the patio.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 21:51:21 »
Argh, Ellie!  :o never thought of lily beetles devouring fritillaries.
The adults are bad enough but at least they're easily seen and squashed, but the larvae are the pits. Black gunk everywhere, like some horrible lily-leaf solvent.  >:(

Am watching my lilies obsessively - at least, the ones the slugs didn't chew down to the bulb, back when the lilies first broke from hibernation...

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: lilly beetle
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 15:11:11 »
... I'm going to give one spray ...

Are there any sprays that work, systemic or otherwise ?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 20:58:35 »
I saw two this evening and squished them. The lilies are in the garden, first year, and the garden was not cultivated for many years - I wonder how they get there!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: lilly beetle
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 23:33:04 »

Are there any sprays that work, systemic or otherwise ?

I guess thats a NO then  :( .

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 19:03:06 »
pesky wabbit= provado bug killer works but it contains imidacloprid - one of the pesticides implicated in bee disappearance. I grow dozens of lilies every year and there is nothing as effective as a daily patrol and the designated paving flag of death.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal