Author Topic: Space under crab apple help please.  (Read 1277 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Space under crab apple help please.
« on: June 03, 2010, 17:16:50 »
I have a large crab apple and there is a large space underneath it.  Stinging nettles and green alkanet grow particularly well and a couple of gooseberries.  Can anyone please suggest what else will grow.  It is on the west side of the house so the is a lack of light particularly in the summer. 

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Space under crab apple help please.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 17:39:32 »
Are you after something ornamental or useful?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 17:56:55 »
Something useful.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 18:02:09 »
How about some wild garlic..It won't mind shade in summer and when there is no leaves on apple light should be fine for the garlic..and you can crop it when there is not much else available..It doesn't compete with your gooseberry and I suspect that gooseberry sawfly would not like it... ;D..and it is pretty too ;)
How much space have you got there..?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 18:11:41 »
..and you could make few mushroom logs and have them standing in different levels for autumn and wild garlic growing around for spring..
..my brain cell are only just warming up...so watch the space..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 21:31:41 »
Or how about Aronia..it is low growing shrub with berries that look like blackcurrant but taste different..lovely when mixed with apples in pies or you can use to flavour other berry combinations..
..rosemary will grow nicely..as long as it is not in full shade..and you can get lower growing ones on those..
If you soil is acid enough..bilberries will do fine in semi-shade..(wild native bluberry)
..or you could put trailing nasturtiums and let them go wild...and you can eat it too..
..oregano don't mind under tree..I have big clump growing under pear tree..as long it get some amount sun..and it is perennial...and if you let it flower bees will love it and you too...  ;)..continue...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 21:37:09 »
..aannd...
..sorrel don't mind shade as long there is some moisture in soil..
..or you could put pot of something...lemon verbena..
How much space there is underneath as heightwise..?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 21:47:18 »
The crab apple is now 25 years plus old.  There is head height clearance and it is now quite a large area.  Bilberries and other lime haters out of the question we are in the coltswolds so very high in lime.  Water available to plants very deep down hence the success of nettles and alkanet.  Sorrel would be a good idea.  I would try raspberries but being at the front of the house they would just walk hence the rather prickly gooseberry.  Actually had a good idea and might try the logan berry.  I have several potted up going spare. 

Brambles do well too, I keep having to dig them out.  Many thanks to you all for your ideas.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:08:31 »
I moved my rhubarb under my old apple tree in an effort to subdue it (the rhubarb) but it is IMMENSE and vigorous, and the tree is productive as well. I put my lovage there for the same reason, and it is bigger than ever, flourishing in the shade. I have recently added some mint to crawl around in the shade but I can't tell yet what it will do. A New Dawn rose cutting is also there, planning to climb into the tree, and is just really getting going.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal