Author Topic: What was the first convenience food you or your parents bought?  (Read 6171 times)

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
Re: What was the first convenience food you or your parents bought?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 21:43:01 »
Green's Lemon Meringue Pie, but you still had to make the pastry I think. Oh yes, and supply the egg  ???

A bit like packs of batter mix that say 'just add milk and an egg'. ??? ???

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 23:12:06 »

For me frozen sausages, they came in little plasic tubes, I did not read the instructions, that said remove outer covering,  :-[I wondered why they did not brown like other sausage. ;D
    June.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 23:27:35 »
I too remember the Vesta curries and noodles with crispy fried bits, my mum used to do them as a treat lunch for herself if my dad was away on business!

The first ones I really remember buying myself and mourn the passing of were Birds Eye mousses, which came in a small rectangular waxed paper box....there were only three flavours, strawberry, lemon and chocolate, and I loved them all!They were only sold like that for a year or two then morphed into 'Supermousses' which came in a tub and had a weird red sauce .... ???
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 07:52:10 »
Vesta meals came in when we were in our teens- remember taking them camping. Chicken supreme was my favourite!

I guess spam and fish fingers were regulars when we were younger, and yes, custard powder (didnt know there was any other way to make custard!)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 08:26:45 »
Angel Delight mmmmm
Ooh yess! When I left home my party special was a 'cheesecake' made with crushed chocolate digestives, 2 packets of butterscotch angel delight made up double-thickness, with Baileys instead of milk, and topped with chocolate and/or mandarin segments :)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:36 »
I remember being given really awful dripping with fat battered spam fritters at school when I started & being sick all day long :-X :'( :o
At home we had the Vesta meals, I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole now but they did seem so sophisticated back then,lol. Tinned corned beef mixed into instant mashed potato was another nasty meal & tinned hotdogs :P
I do remember really liking the pre-made sponge flan bases my mum used to fill with tinned fruit & cover with Quick-Gel.....anyone else remember them?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:55 »
I remember the NHS orange juice, Jeannine; it was lovely. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 20:41:25 »
Pauline, here I can get frozen orange juice, I could never find it in the UK, comes in a container about the size of a small tin of peas and it diluted with w times water..but neat it is exactly like the NHS juice.

I remember getting into trouble with the lemon meringue pie, I used to nick the little gelatine capsule that had the lemon flavour in it, stick a pin hole in it and lick it. When Mum came to make the pie there was no flavourings, it took her awhile to catch on though.

I also remember cooking the plastic covered sausages and serving them, never figured out how the plastic didn't melt. Same as cooking a chicken with the bits in a plastic bag inside I guess.. did that too when I was young.

Funny about the custard powder.. When the Pudding Club members meet they will only have Birds custard powder too.. not for them custard cooked the long old fashioned way.

I too remember the Goblin stew, had big potato chunks in it.

Does anyone remember the Birds Eys frozen  fresh cream sponge cakes,, wow where they ever light.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 22:17:15 »
Vesta beef curry  for me
by the way just  two valleys over from me are located the Pot Noddle mines in a place called Newbridge

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 22:49:07 »
When I was a child I  loved KELLOGS RISE N SHINE.  It was a powdered orange juice drink. I remember we got a sample through the letter box. You used to get alot of samples in the 70's . My mum bought it for me after that sample and I remember feeling slightly posh drinking my glass of so called fresh orange juice with my cornflakes. ;D I wonder what I would think of Rise n Shine today.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 23:03:48 »
Would powdered egg be considered a convenience food, I remember we had a big tin of it in the pantry and I used to take a teaspoon and scoop it out to eat. It used to clog my mouth but I really liked it. My mum would have killed me if she knew what I was doing as it was a precious commodity in our household when eggs were hard to get.

Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 23:25:14 »
Does anyone remember the Birds Eys frozen  fresh cream sponge cakes,, wow where they ever light.
XX Jeannine
/quote]

Oh yes.  And they were really quite nice.  Unlike their counterpart, the Arctic Roll, yeuk.

valmarg

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 23:50:08 »
Not much in the way of convenience food in our house. Dad was a greengrocer and he grew a lot of his veg.
I do remember the frozen fresh cream sponges though, and tinned fruit and carnation milk on a winter Sunday for tea.
Smile, it confuses people.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 01:41:08 »
Probably birds custard for us we had a take away once a week which was either fish (skate wing or middle) and chips, spice burger and chips or a Chinese :) we ate a mediteranian diet lots of spaghetti bol etc I remember after we moved to the uk going to the geek run grosser to find garlic :)

Remember the frozed cream cake and the rise and shine drink as well as frozen oj ;)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 03:07:38 »
Baked beans (not the Heinz variety) and even then only as an occasional treat.

Between Dad's gardening ability and mum's baking/pickling/jamming abilities convenience food barely made it into the house.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 21:00:31 »
Thanks for the advice goodlife, I will leave the seaweed stuff on the garden centres shelves.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 21:14:35 »
for mash get SMASH!

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 21:51:10 »
Farleys Rusks, and I still eat them by the packet  :o
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 20:30:27 »
Birds Instant Whip - my mum wouldn't get Angle Delight because it only made half a pint - never enough to go round 6 of us.
Camp coffee, Fray bentos corned beef, Vimto( Vomito, the entirely fruitless cordial), chicken noodle soup in packets - I still use Maggi, lots of MSG - yum.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 20:56:58 »
Ha! Bird's Topping, aka Bird's Dropping in our house.
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal