Author Topic: Building a greenhouse/polytunnel  (Read 7676 times)

Joshremlin

• Not So New ...
Building a greenhouse/polytunnel
« on: May 31, 2011, 20:30:36 »
Hi all ive just took over a allotment and its got two greenhouse bases well there small so im going to join them together for a 6x8 base. I'm good at wood work so i thought of building a frame and putting some poly stuff over it but im wondering of its going to work ??? And dose any one know were i can get some good poly stuff from in yhe sheffield/rotherham area

Cheers
joshremlin

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
Re: Building a greenhouse/polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 20:57:35 »
I don't know anything about putting up greenhouses or woodwork.  However, on my allotments there are greenhouses made from wooden frames covered in either some sort of polythene or corrugated plastic sheets.  They look jolly robust to me.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 21:02:59 »
Hi, Joshremlin, welcome to a4a  ;D
we got our skin for the poly from Northern polytunnels, they sell it by the metre, good stuff  :)

Joshremlin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 22:53:22 »
So the idea will work ??.  It just i thought it might be a little cheaper for me and i can make it just how i need it and the size i need it too :)

the only thing i fort might be a problem was if the poly won't thick enough it won't maintain a greenhouse temperature but then what is a good greenhouse temperature can anyone tell me ???

Cheers

Joshremlin

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 16:54:54 »

Made this with tilers lathes and monoflex from Scaffold Direct.

The size is approx 4Mtrs x 3Mtrs.Put 2 small vents at the rear and one above the door. It works brilliant. Already had loads of early spuds out of it. The cost of building this was less than £100.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 17:31:35 »
Wow...

You aren't interested in this Allotments4all dating service by any chance? ;)

Joshremlin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 21:03:59 »
WOW!!!   :o  :o.  looks good!! and loving the funny comment under it lmao!!

I think I might have to copy your idea on a little smaller scale though due to not wanting to loose too much space but i am thinking of doing one or two smaller ones for popping over the spuds and for the tommy tomatoes to go in :) :) - Ive got the plan in my head, hard to explain though but ill up load pictures later on for A4ALL to have a look at :P.

Although if I was to use polythene on like polytunnels which micron or what ever it is will i need ???? Will I need to change the polythene every year too ??? Plus a quick question for you with the little air gaps or what ever you call them do you still have to go down in the morning to open the door to let more air in ??? or do you just open it when your popping in a out watering etc...

Cheers

Joshremlin

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 21:46:39 »
That is amazing and beautiful and perfect for winter but would a door each end with netting aid air circulation and cooling in summer?

Joshremlin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 22:11:40 »
Im wanting to know the same green lilly because I can put money on when I get payed im off to the timber yard and making one  :) :)

Joshremlin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 23:20:52 »
What size timber did you use to I was thinking 40mm x 40mm x 2400mm in lenth

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 16:48:31 »
I used tilers lathes (2"x1") in old money. Bought 2 packs from the builders merchants approx £25. The monoflex from the web site scaffold direct 3 years ago. It's supposed to last ten years. I found the vents I put in were alright but I suppose you could put more in if required. I just made this up as I went along. The frame took about 3 days including painting. I had to wait a couple of weeks to put the monofex on as I had to get permission off the committee for a structure that was bigger than 8' x 6'. Had loads and loads of cucumbers last year and loads of peppers from the other side.Good luck with your building.

When you have finished that, try this for your brassica's.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 21:33:12 »
Well all I can say is I'm finally forced to admit it would be nice to have a bloke[with gardening/diy skills] around the plot... ::) ::) ::) ;) 8)
Makes my wire and net cloches look a bit basic...

Joshremlin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:24 »
Right cheers for the info I thought 2' by 1' might of bowed a little and I will up load my pictures soon as I can although Ill have to put it forward to the commite first :( so knowing pur commite it may take a little time

Cheers
Joshremlin

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 10:11:34 »
This has given me some top tips, plan on building my own over the winter, heres a link

http://www.polytunnelgardening.co.uk/polytunnel-construction-guides/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal