Author Topic: Winter tomatoes  (Read 3810 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Winter tomatoes
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:35:17 »
Thinking ahead, I’m quite interested in having a go at growing very dwarf or micro type tomato through the winter.  I’m growing Vilma, Japanese Dwarf, Red Robin, Tiny Tim and Minibell to see how they do and taste this summer. So will probably go with one or two to these varieties, Ditmarcher is another possibility. I’m growing a few other dwarf types but I think they will be too large for overwinter growing.

I came across this http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Greenhouse%20Equipment_Propagation/GRE-518.htm
(I still have some B’day money to spend) and wonder if it would be any good? Has anyone got one or something similar or recommendations for tasty dwarf tomatoes?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Winter tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:51:39 »
Looks very interesting Jayb. Didn't John buy Jeannine one this year. To soon to judge though.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15:04 »
That does look a good complete set up. Have you looked www.twowests.co.uk ...they do grow lights too...if you have room to put gravel tray near window to place your plants on..then you only need supplementary lighting for your toms/plants...which would propably work cheaper to run and have a bit larger growing area too... ;)
I have not used those kind of set-up's myself..but I know that in nursery setting they do use different colour lights in different stage of the growth..and I wonder if those lights in kit would promote fruiting..'sounds' like they are grow lights..
If you look into Two Wests site they do different colour lights... it would be worth it to give a call if the 'bulbs' can be use with cheaper lighting systems as the pro-lights are not cheap.

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:42:34 »
Homebase sell 11W Philips daylight CFL's for around £3.50, 30W CFL's can be picked up from eBay for circa £6.00. I started all my chillies under these in the dead of winter & they positively thrived, I was nipping out flowers in January.  ::) (Chilli growing forums are a wealth of info on these DIY options. ;) )

I'll be refining my set-up before this winter, as it stands it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the unit you're looking at.   :D

I tried Micro Tom from Nicky's last winter, it fruited happily in a 9cm pot, but I wasn't too impressed with the flavour. My plant sitter killed it while I was out of the country, I'm planning is to sow another one too see if the summer heat makes much difference to the taste.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:54:23 »
Mine is  3 tier so houses a lot of plants and is very tall so I could take a middle shelf out and grow tall plants. Is doing a great job with small plants they grow fast, not leggy and a deep green. I shall grow toms in the winter in it, I had a tumbler that I put under a few weeks ago which had a baby tom on, but the tom fell off and then none of the flowers pollinated, by the time I realised I had to hand pollinate it was too late, so be prepared to do that, I also intend to have a light fan in on them which will aid pollination.

I would go for it if you think it is big enough got what you want  it to do..XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 14:25:20 »
Have been Googling and found the same one Harrods offer at a cheaper price which includes the self-watering tray (£69.95). Delivery is cheaper too (£3.95).

http://www.greenandeasy.co.uk/product/Garland-Grow-Light-Garden.aspx

Might have a go for next season.

Tricia

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 18:41:36 »
Thanks  for the replies, really useful links and ideas giving me lots to think about. I’ll look into buying the different bits and bobs needed, but I was hoping  to end up with something ‘’aesthetically pleasing’’

;D I know it will not be big enough for what I want but I haven’t found anything else affordable and available yet. I’m trying to think of what I may be able to adapt, bearing in mind I’m fairly basic at DIYing.

Also are there any dwarf varieties capable of producing tasty enough fruit under these conditions?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 00:10:13 »
Jackie

colingreenhouse

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:16:51 »
Hi. I tried robin tomatoes from seed in september grown indoors on a south facing window in my office along with a pepper.
Both produced fruit although the tomatoes grew leggy and the pepper leaves kept falling. I didnt uses any special lighting though did use a very small paint brush to pollinate. After fruit I cut the tomatoe to just above the last shute and move both the pepper and the tomatoes into the greenhouse. Both now fruiting again and growing to normal sizes.  I only tried this to see what would happen, but was nice to have greenary in the dismal winter we had.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:05:38 »
Thanks, that#s really interesting :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:22:36 »
Jay, I am getting a bot confused as we now have three seperate topics going on growing toms in the winter, but on one of them I think it was the one  I started there is a link to Utah uni  where thay give free plans for building your own.. should be very simple to adapt with UK lights.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:24:00 »
Yep..this is old tread and is started again..shall we carry on with the new one and leave this one be?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal