Author Topic: Do you need to pinch out cucumber plants??  (Read 12170 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Do you need to pinch out cucumber plants??
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:39:58 »
I have never pinched out cucumber plants and usually just leave them to their own devices apart from tying up.  My crop has usually been fine.  Thinking about things as you do - should cucumber plants be pinched out in the same way tomato plants are?  Or are they best left to grow their own way ::) ::)    Just a thought
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Do you need to pinch out cucumber plants??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:32:49 »
Although I have heard about people "pinching out" cucumbers,I dont know the why's ,or even how.I just let mine "go"  :)
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:26:13 »
There are two ways to grow cucumbers, main stem growth and side chute growth yo can only successfully us one method to get good results.
Main Stem don't let any thing grow for the first two feet of the plant to promote strong growth of the main stem. after that as any side chute develop let them grow on for four leaf stems tie them for support as cucumbers will grow then nip out the growing tip. do this to every side chute that develops and just let the main stem grow on till you find the need to stop it

Side Chute.   Again don,t let anything grow for the first two feet after that as a side chute grows train them horizontally along supports you can let them over lap each other if you are growing side by side. after getting six side chute ( three each side of the stem)  to grow then nip the growing tip out on the main stem. If you do use this method you may have to  nip off every other cucumber to encourage the others to develop.
If you are gowing to use the side chute method you need good support and plenty of room

[attachment=1]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:32:02 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:49:41 »
Yes I do pinch..otherwise the whole GH is just one big plant... ::)I let the main stem grow but every sideshoot is piched after first leaf and flower....and that is still a lot of fruit...I only grow 2 plants and I still supply friends and neighbours with cumbers and during cropping I eat at least one myself a day... ::)  I should really count how many I get..but don't have enough fingers and toes to do so... ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:17 »
Me too - 2 leaves after the first fruit.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:57:37 »
Now here's a thought!

NVS quote........... the main stem is stopped when it reaches the top of the 'house & all young fruit & all young fruit on this stem should be removed...??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal