Author Topic: Why else do potatoes flower?  (Read 3482 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Why else do potatoes flower?
« on: May 28, 2010, 16:38:06 »
....was thrilled to find a couple of my first earlies with flower buds on.  Had a rummage around and couldn't find anything then got the fork out and lifted one of them because I planted extra deep this year, still no signs of even micro-potatoes.

So, what does it mean?  Are they sort of bolting due to a lack of moisture or the freaky hot spell, they look extremely lush and healthy.  Or do potatoes just do that sometimes?

Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Why else do potatoes flower?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 16:40:15 »
They do it like any other plant. A lot of varieties don't bother much, but you can save the seeds and grow your own new varieties with a bit of perseverance.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 17:33:43 »
You should start watering them now.  The tats are at the marble stage when you see the flowers.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 20:30:28 »
The maximum crop occurs when the foliage starts to die down.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:03 »
I don't think I made my question very clear.

I thought flowers indicated baby potatoes, but there's not a sign of anything down below - seriously nothing, but a couple of pips.  So, don't flowers indicate baby potatoes?  

Last year none of my earlies flowered so I didn't realise until they were quite sizeable that there were any there.

I sometimes dip in to Tom Wagner's TPS forum and had planned to do that if I have time and/or berries.

P.S. I water like crazy because my soil's like gravel already this year despite spending a fortune on an entire pallet of reclaimed peat and digging it in.  Grrrrr  :-\
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:44:06 by earlypea »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:32:27 »
I would not worry...they will produce...I don't  think that potatoes does 'bolt' as unions and such...flowering is just 'rule of thumb'..I'm sure the potato nodules are formed and just waiting for right weather to jump into action..as we are now getting the long waited rain things start moving again...patience is needed.. ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 14:12:16 »
Potatoes come into flower when the plant is coming to its best  ( just like a women ) its about two weeks after flowering that the potato has grown after that well its just goes down hill doesn't it

INCOMING
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 07:50:33 »
...patience is needed.. ;D
That tends to be the missing ingredient in my scheme - thanks for the reminder

Heavy rain predicted Tuesday  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal