Author Topic: Weed killers, really confused!!  (Read 25602 times)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
Weed killers, really confused!!
« on: May 27, 2010, 13:10:02 »
Hi all!!

I have a big patch on my site that is just full of weeds, so i want to kill them b4 i dig.  However im getting really confused on which weedkiller to buy as they all seem 2 say "For use on areas not intended to bear vegetation". 

I recently brought some Resolva weedkiller total clear, but have held off using it due to the warning.  Is there any1 out there who could tell me if this product is ok 2 use?  If not could you recomend  a product which is.

Its really not easy to read the back of packets in B&Q when u have 3 yr old twins running around!

Thx!!
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

woppa30

• Half Acre
Re: Weed killers, really confused!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 13:32:58 »
If you wnat to kill every plant in an area you want something that has glyphosphate in it (the resolva might...) This will take about a week to start working, leave it to work and after a couple of weeks everything will be dead, you can dig it over and plant straight away.
Don't spray / water the weedkiller if there is a draft, its very effective. Use on a warm day when the plant wil adsorb it through the leave and carry it down to the roots. Don't use if rain is forcast for the enxt 24 hrs.
Use the recommended amounts and give it time to work properly, don't start digging over until everything is completely dead, some persistent weeds may need a second dose.
Others wil recommedn the use of a spade first and digging them out by hand. Each to their own.
Woppa

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 13:37:42 »
Thx 4 that woppa, how long after ive applied it will the soil b usable again?  As it doesnt say on the packet.
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 13:43:06 »
Personally I would dig out & compost the weeds, why waste money on weedkiller when you can use those weeds to improve your soil.
The people that choose to use weedkiller tend to go for glyphosate based products such as roundup, Resolva is a blend of glyphosate & diquat the time before replanting should be on the label if not then query it with the manufacturers. There is also an organic weedkiller available to buy online if you prefer something less controversial than glyphosate http://mistral.ie/details.php?code=R5002.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 13:53:29 »
you could try white vinegar mixed with a squirt of washing up liquid for an organic alternative.  :)

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 14:02:02 »
you could try white vinegar mixed with a squirt of washing up liquid for an organic alternative.  :)

Would that kill the roots? or just the top foliage ???

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 14:50:15 »
I think its pointless using weed killers at this time of the year as you are only going to knock back what you can see and not what has started to grow and it will. There is also a chance that some may be carried on the wind to your veg, tomatoes etc.
Get stuck in with a garden fork and get the roots out, its not the easiest option but its the best.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 15:45:29 »
Last year I cleared an area on my allotment with glycophosphate.   I burnt the dead foliage.   This was in March.  Then after 6 weeks my neighbour rotavated it for me.  Planted potatoes.   Good crop.   Nobody has died.

gerkin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 20:43:15 »
another thumbs up here for glyphosate used it to kill off my overgrown lottie, i use it at work as well  ,saves hours of work .great as a weed wipe for extra stubborn couch or bindweed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 20:46:01 by gerkin »
upminster essex ,come on you irons

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 22:12:44 »
Farmers have been using glycophosate for years..

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 23:07:03 »
Hi all weed killers,

Weedall is the very best to use as you can plant the same day, it is rather expensive but well worth it. I have a pressure sprayer, (about 15 pounds) It is one of the most useful tools I possess and I have no qualms about using it. It takes about five days to kill the weeds but it does no harm to the soil or the beneficial insects. The best way to use it is in the evening with a glass of wine in one hand and the spray in the other, heaven. Almost as good as going out with your tub of salt with the intent of killing the slugs and snails.

Regards to you all Queenbee 
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 23:28:00 »
Hi all weed killers,

Weedall is the very best to use as you can plant the same day, it is rather expensive but well worth it. I have a pressure sprayer, (about 15 pounds) It is one of the most useful tools I possess and I have no qualms about using it. It takes about five days to kill the weeds but it does no harm to the soil or the beneficial insects. The best way to use it is in the evening with a glass of wine in one hand and the spray in the other, heaven. Almost as good as going out with your tub of salt with the intent of killing the slugs and snails.

Regards to you all Queenbee 

I made a non lethal slug launcher. You picked the slug up, dropped it down a clear plastic tube, pulled the trigger and a blast of compressed air blows the slug 100 yards to eat someone elses cabbage...............
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 23:47:52 »
Weedall is the very best to use as you can plant the same day, it is rather expensive but well worth it. I have a pressure sprayer, (about 15 pounds) It is one of the most useful tools I possess and I have no qualms about using it. It takes about five days to kill the weeds but it does no harm to the soil or the beneficial insects. The best way to use it is in the evening with a glass of wine in one hand and the spray in the other, heaven.

There is no such product as weedall approved for use do you mean weedol? if so then which type there are 11 variations & all work differently according to what the active ingredient is.

Weedol 2 & Weedol Gun! which are based on Diquat.
Weedol Gun Max, Weedol Max, Weedol Ultra-Fast & Weedol Ultra-Fast RTU which are based on Pelargonic acid.
Weedol Tough which is based on triclopyr
Weedol Rootkill Plus & Weedol Gun! Rootkill Plus which are based on glyphosate and pyraflufen-ethyl.
Weedol Lawn Weedkiller & Weedol Lawn Weedkiller Ready to Use which are based on clopyralid, fluroxypyr and MCPA.

Spraying weedkiller whilst drinking anything let alone alcohol is never recommended. Getting weedkiller in your drink is not going to do you any good & not paying attention to what you are doing often results in the spray drifting to other areas affecting your own or your neighbours crops.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:05:12 »

I made a non lethal slug launcher. You picked the slug up, dropped it down a clear plastic tube, pulled the trigger and a blast of compressed air blows the slug 100 yards to eat someone elses cabbage...............

I use a similar mechanism, but being a cricket fan ... wack ... a 6 every time.
Although, with Wimbledon just around the corner, some practice might be useful .  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:06:45 by Pesky Wabbit »

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 07:32:13 »
Hi all,  :)

I`ve used lots of glysophate, I finally realised its a waste of time and money.
Now I`m fastidious about weeding digging and hoeing. You won`t find a weed over half inch tall on my big plot and I`m getting there on my number one plot which I neglected because the blue tits were in residence. My pumpkin plot is thick with weeds, thats where I last used lots of glysophate, next week I`ll dig them all out before tilling.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 08:19:48 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 08:44:44 »
Better to dig them  out, takes longer but better for the earth and you and your children in the long run. I would trust anything that Baccyman writes without question, sensible, fair amd very  very knowledgable.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 09:16:04 »
This raises another point.

Vinegar based killer - £3.50/l.
Distilled white vinegar "v strong" - £1.50/l

How strong is 'v. strong'? Is not commercial stuff - as in killers - VERY much stronger than shop bought?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:43 »
Horticultural vinegar (organic weedkiller) typically 20% acidity.
Distilled white vinegar typically 5% acidity.

Bear in mind that vinegar is non-selective & non-systemic it will kill any vegetation you spray with it, it may weaken but will not normally kill the roots.
If used excessively it will temporarily alter the ph of the soil although the effects on ph are short term & localised to wherever you sprayed it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:19:10 by Baccy Man »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 10:12:37 »
Yes - so it's pointless using Sarsons at 5%?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:03:49 by tim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal