Author Topic: Pruning gooseberries  (Read 1022 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Pruning gooseberries
« on: May 26, 2010, 22:03:06 »
I have one red and one green gooseberry plant which were planted in the soil last Autumn after being in pots for two years. They love their new home and have quite a lot of fruit on them but they are growing very vigorous new shoots - most of which are a foot or more long. When should I prune these new shoots. And how much should I take off?
[attachment=2][attachment=1]

:)I've just been out to take the pictures!

Tricia

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 22:06:02 by tricia »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Pruning gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 22:07:59 »
Those that are on your way and not wanted you can take out now..but otherwise leave it till next spring..then you can take few of the older branches out and let the new ones take their place... ;)

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:00:00 »
I always prune my goosegogs in the late winter when they are dormant. I take out a lot of the centre growth to give the bush a bowl shape that way the air can circulate through the bush and prevent infections etc. Watch out for shoots that grown near the soil as they wil root and cause spreading of plant, any shoots growing down take out.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:18:42 »
Alternatively, weigh down the low shoot to ensure that it touches the ground, wait, and you get a new plant!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:45:05 »
I have a very tasty gooseberry I got from lidl turned out to be pink and I have been trying to get some cuttings to root, I like the sound of getting it to root on the plant.  I have lots of red currants that have taken that way.  Thanks for the suggestion just on my way to give it a try.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal