Author Topic: worming and such  (Read 1623 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
worming and such
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:55:26 »
how often does everyone worm their chickens and what do you reccomend using?

i've heard that some people don't worm but give a suppliment instead?

the woman i brought the girls from said that i didnt need to do anything with them but i wonder if she just maybe didnt have the time to chat?

anything else i should be doing for them health wise?

they get layers pellets, mixed corn, grit, oyster shell, my weeds and our table scraps, plus loads of cabbage lettuce and carrot scraps from the market.

and also does anyone not feed their chickens commercial feed?

we can get mixed corn free, massive bags of it, i've heard of corn fed chickens and wondered if they can just live off corn? or do they need other things?
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: worming and such
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:41 »
Right..think as the corn being chocolate for the girls..so you only give a little bit now and then..it doesn't have enough nutrients to supply for proper laying..yes your chickens  could live with it but it would not do any good for them in long run.
Commercial feeds have just the right ratio of proteins, carbohyrdrates, vitamins and minerals for optimum laying and health for you girs. You can make your own feed mix but if you do not get it quite right ..laying is first to suffer and soon they have other health issues..
During summer I give mix corn about cup full for my 6 hens in afternoon..during cold weather I'm more liberal with it as it is high energy food that releases it slow so it is good for them during winter,,it helps them to keep warm..thats why it is not needed during summer that much..given chance they would not eat anything but corn.. ::)
Be careful with lettuce in quantities as it can give them runny bum.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 13:09:29 »
oh..about worming..
Mine are in fixed run so I'm very careful and I tend to worm them 3 or 4 times a year..but..while they are laying I give them once a month wormX (forgot exact name ::)...the herbal one....) and once a year during moulting they get flubenvet.
My girls have layers pellet available all the time and that is all what they get first few hours in the morning..and then during the day they get bit of this and that but never that many treats that they could fill they crop with it...treats are more to keep them happy and something to do than for feed.
Grit and water is available all the time too.
During molt and off days they get poultry drink mixed into they water for extra boost... ;)
Winter I tend to drop clove of garlic in their water for fight any sniffles.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 13:24:21 »
and another one... ::)
Don't forget mites etc..
You must keep on top of those...they can easily kill chicken by running their condition down...and your girls will get them eventually it is only matter of time..
I use louse powder of something similar..mite-kill powder..dusting of that in nestboxes and around perch every 4-6 weeks or so and job done.
Once a year (late winter) I give the chickens shed through clean.
I shed I use wood shavings and those are changed as needed.
Yes you can keep chickens easier way than I do..but mine are in garden and they and their housing have to be well looked after not only for their sake but for neighbours sake too...but then again..anyhing seriously wrong with my girls are rare thing.. ;)
If they could be kept in free to roam situation it would be less work.
How are you keeping yours?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal