Author Topic: Surfing the net, but at what price?  (Read 3545 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Surfing the net, but at what price?
« on: November 30, 2004, 12:54:47 »
Talking recently on another thread about Spams and Scams, did you see the warning on the Beeb Breakfast show today 30/11/04 about hijackers using your phone line from your PC? This mainly concerns dial-up narrow band users apparently these unscrupulous people can latch on to your pc and use your phone for premium rate calls running up massive bills for the unfortunate victims.
A “Techy” on the Beeb said “it is advisable to install a spyware destroyer to help protect from these attacks.

Here’s a link…
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/4052475.stm

ken (69)

• Acre
Re:Surfing the net, but at what price?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 16:58:06 »
Thank you, Roy, very interested in this sort of thing.Am told there is hardly any totally foolproof way a determined hacker can't access your computer,so barring some numbers  with BT is an essential first step.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 17:52:31 »
Spybot active!! = Tim

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 18:30:45 »
It catches those people who have set their dialler to automatic. If you have it set to ask you to Connect you can see the telephone number which is being dialled. Once you are connected then it is more difficult for them to re-direct your call. On our machine the dialling tone is very distinctive and very obvious, if it suddenly kicked in after we had logged on.
Also pays to use BT's on-line Telephone billing and Call record rather frequently if you are worried about this. At least then you can spot a arge item before it becomes impossibly large.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 11:31:21 »
Not sure I really understand what you mean here.
Are you saying that while you are on-line, someone could potentially use your line? Or could it be at any time?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 13:39:57 »
Sarah, click on the Beeb link I put in the first thread, it tells all. Here is a snippet..."The rogue dialler replaces the number you normally use for dial-up internet, with a premium rate number, or an international number, with very high charges.

The rogue dialler can disconnect you from your normal internet service provider (ISP and dial the new number without you noticing. Some may also mute your modem volume so you cannot hear them dialling."

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 15:22:01 »
Glad you posted your message, Roy. Time to change browsers, I think.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 17:03:31 »
Someone on A4A recommended Firefox Web Browser quite recently, I tried it and wasn't comfortable with it, one thing that annoyed me was the cursor on A4A kept resting in the wrong place, minor but menacing. >:(

It is recommended by the Techy’s so I may give it another go, it is worth pointing out that since installing MS service pack 2 that pop-ups are a thing of the past and those innocent pop-up things are the tool (or one of the tools) that the Rogue Diallers use to access your PC. :o

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 17:25:01 »
I ticked or unticked all the right boxes as per the list, Roy, then clicked to download Spybot Search and Destroy, from Download.com. It said my security settings wouldn't allow. lol....and will try Firefox.Something else to learn.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 17:40:35 »
Took 56 minutes to download Firedoodah, 2 minutes to install and the rest of the day to get rid of it and get the computer working properly again. It absolutely destroyed my set up. Had to re-sign up with my Internet provider too, and if you want fun and confusion try doing that!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 17:41:23 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 17:44:32 »
I use Ad-Aware 6.0 with no fuss and it's free, try this link...

http://www.networkingfiles.com/Cookie/adaware.htm

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 12:24:50 »
Yes Roy got that and when names come up I put them into the 'Edit' part of the privacy section.I see also that Spyware Blaster uses Internet Option settings, maybe even adjusts them auto.Agree about Fireworks, wasn't compatible with Zone Alarm at one time.Will Percy Veer.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 11:18:36 »
Found a link from your networkingfiles mention, Roy, Broadband Reports.com.....Security and Privacy setting for Internet Explorer..they suggest put these settings into place or change browsers.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 20:35:22 »
I thought you had to activate the boogy phone line. If a box pops up while you are dialing your provider or while you are 'surfing', click the 'x' top right to get rid of it.
These rough services try put themselves across as the bona-fida thing by asking if you are trying to connect. When you click 'yes' THAT'S the connection to their line.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal