Author Topic: buying a greenhouse  (Read 1999 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
buying a greenhouse
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:23:39 »
Doing some research as I'm planning on buying a small lean-to greenhouse:

polycarbonate or toughened glass? (we have a young son)

Supplier receommendation or to avoid?

Do I need a metal base? (it's to go on concrete)

Any other considerations?

(Sorry about short questions - Mr Aqui is kicking me off computer!)
gone to pot :D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: buying a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 20:37:26 »
Depending on the length and width, ensure you will be able to get to the plants left and right of the door for maintenance and harvesting without damaging the plants you need to pass..  You should be able to secure it to the wall too.  If it is large enough, you may be able to fit an automatic opener vent, or a manual louvre vent.  Glass is my choice but it is personal preference. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:51:56 »
I bought my first polycarbonate greenhouse this year, its the same constrction as cardboard (two straight layers and a corrugated layer in the middle and i have to say it really holds in the heat and is great for the rough place I live, the tomatoes are doing really well so I would recomend the poly carbonate. But i wouldnt recomend elbec the company i bought it from , the construction diagrams were very poor the windows dont fit properly and they have refused to accept that there is a problem.

I built a brick base on a concrete foundation open to the soil then driled though the metal base into brick to secure it.

Bear in mind the height of the eves when you prepare the base.
Mine were only 4ft 4 so i have a double layer of bricks to let me actually stand underneath them.

Search for greenhouses and youll find lots of debate about glass verses plastic.
good luck
x sunloving

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:00:39 »
Yes..the height is what you will need...so I would go for a base everytime..even then all my greenhouses are on built up brick bases as well..now I just wish that I would have gone even higher base...some of my toms are such a monsters and I like to hang a lot of crops out of the way of mice..under the eaves space is very usefull..
As you are going to lean to shape the head space if even more necessary for you...as for material...you could do half and half..have sides as poly and roof class..you get best of both worlds....safety for you little and and best light with glass..and when time comes you can eventually change one or other for which ever you have found better for you... ;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 15:53:27 »
I put my greenhouses on a concrete block base, blocks 18" x 9" x 6". This gives an extra 9" to the height although you may need two extra blocks laid flat as steps. The floor is a concrete base laid for a Mobile Home.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal