Author Topic: Why do my peas never grow? Help!  (Read 8656 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Why do my peas never grow? Help!
« on: May 24, 2010, 16:25:33 »
I have now sowed at least 4 rows of peas and the sum total of plants is about9 or 10?

My neighbours up the lottie have got magnificent rows of them with just the odd one missing - what am I doing wrong.  I tried this also last year with complete and total failure.

I really really would love to have some peas!  Has anyone some helpful hints.

Incidentally I don't think it is mice and it probably isn't slugs either as I do put down slug killer until they can manage.

Old Bird    :(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Why do my peas never grow? Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 16:29:12 »
I sowed mine in root trainers and they all came up. It's a bit labour intensive though!
gone to pot :D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 16:29:50 »
I find getting the ground and the peas really wet when they go in helps. :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 16:50:26 »
For my peas I start them in 3" pots, up to a dozen seeds per pot depending on how many seed I have available (if I only have a few seed I may sow them individually in either Agralan 'compact plant trainers' or Modiform plug trays). They germinate quickly & once they grow to 3"-4" tall I plant them out & grow them up wigwams.
For the others I grow on a larger scale they are direct sown very densely in rows & covered with scaffold netting until they have germinated & grown at least 3"-4" otherwise the birds tend to do a lot of damage, the scaffold netting is then removed & 6' pea & bean netting is put in place to support them.

I should point out that I only grow tall varieties unless something catches my eye or a short variety is specifically requested but the only real difference is the support necessary, the germination is the same.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 17:21:46 »
The only time I've ever had a successful row of direct-planted peas was when I cloched them. I'm convinced the problem is pigeons. These days I start them all in pots.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 18:03:37 »
This is my pea sowing method,
Take a rake, after digging over the area to be planted, drag the rake back and forth.
Until you have gone down an inch or so, not an exact depth but there abouts.
Take your spade and with the back of the spade pat the area raked down.
Next watering can, soak the area well. Next hand full of peas scatter thickly.
(Don't worry about positioning , distance appart..scatter them.)
Now pull the loose soil previously raked back over the peas, to cover.
Soak them well once again and leave...do nothing unless its very dry over a short period of days, then water gently.
Other than that leave until they poke their heads out..from then on water well, constantly until well established....
7 rows this year and not noticed any failures, well you won't if you sow thick enough ;) ;)
Trays, guttering, pots ect ...tried them all...Rake-Pat-Scatter - cover -water...

Have a good season... ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 18:33:48 »
Old Bird, for guaranteed success with peas, soak them first overnight, then keep in the dark until they just start to 'chit', then sow them. 'simples'
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 19:03:51 »
I give the ground a quick dig over mixing in council compost
Then put up my netting and soak the area
The next day I dib or push the peas in depending on the soil
Cover with a sprinkling of compost and water
Any that don't come up a few days after germination get more peas sowed in the empty spaces.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 19:38:38 »
Apart from my first sowing which I do in cell trays, I use the 'Digindep' method!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 20:37:16 »
I really go over the top with care and attention, they get thrown in and covered with soil well watered and pollythene on top to keep the soil moist
[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

and my lost lot put in tonight next to the above that have germinated

[attachment=4]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 20:53:05 »
7 rows this year and not noticed any failures, well you won't if you sow thick enough ;) ;)

I never had any joy until last year with direct sowing.  I used to space them out accordingly and had few crops.  Last year my son emptied a full packet into where I would of sown 1/3rd of a pack.  Just threw them in.  Hey presto - no gaps and loads of peas.  Best ever crop - I was beat by a 5 year old........

The year before last not quite as successful but my first year with a crop.
1.  Get lengths of guttering not longer than 15"
2.  Fill guttering with compost, gently flatten then water
3.  Place peas at 1-2" spacing along both sides of the guttering, slightly in from the     edge to give them some depth.
4.  Germinate them in a greenhouse or coldframe
5.  When the ground is dug fine, remove a trench long enough and deep enough for the contents of the guttering to fit into.
6.  Water the plants in the guttering 30 minutes or so prior to transplanting.
7.  Lightly water the drill channel you have just dug in the ground.
8.  Gently squeeze the sides of the guttering to loosen the compost from the edge, but not too much to disturb the plants
9.  Gently slide the plants from the guttering into the drill and gently firm them into the ground.

That is the best way I can explain the step by step guide using that method.  Hoe it makes sense.  But I got a better crop from my sons excessive direct sow.  Both produced the goods though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:46:51 »
I have quite a healthy patch this year: I netted them until about 20 cms high. and once the first plants had come through, I got more peas and filled in all the gaps with new seeds. Now they are growing well, and no gaps! I watered them regularly untill I removed the netting too... They are kelvedon Wonder variety, dwarfs,
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:22:20 »
Hey thanks all of you who have answered.  I will try a couple of methods - although I have been trying digindep's method - I will try again - and probably planting in root trainers or similar.

I did put the seeds in a germinator and put them in when they sprouted - but still they didn't happen - I think I have 3 left of those!

I will buy new seed - I will try and try again - I will get some peas this year!

Thanks guys!

Ann

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:28:42 »
I started mine off in small biodegradable pots this year, one seed to each pot. I had 80% success germination. I then transferred them in situ a few weeks ago and just seen my first flower  :)

I've since planted directly into the ground which again have about 80% germination. Any spaces I've just replanted a seed, it will grow slower but I want my crop over the next couple of months. I've still a full 8' x 4' raised bed of peas to fill.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:36:13 »
this year we've finally solved what's been getting the peas. We pre-germinate them btw

what's eating them are pheasants. They can get past the reasonable protection we give them

so now we use unreasonable protection  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal