Author Topic: Getting manure delivered - how does your site do it?  (Read 2901 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Getting manure delivered - how does your site do it?
« on: April 24, 2010, 21:38:26 »
Hi everyone,

I want to suggest our site starts having communal deliveries of manure a couple of times a year.

My old site used to do that, but at this one there's nothing. If you do this at your site, how do you organise it? How is it paid for? How did you find someone who would deliver it?

Thanks for sharing your tips!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Getting manure delivered - how does your site do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 21:41:45 »
We asked local farmers and found one willing to deliver. We ask who wants manure, they pay the person organising the delivery, the delivery is made - as close to individual plots as possible, they barrow it to their plots.  one of the plot holders volunteered to do it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 21:46:47 »
we have a farmer with horses near, he just brings a 20 ton wagon, everyone is allowed, to start, 10 barrows each, it costs 40.00  per load and is included in the fees  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 21:53:58 »
we have a few farmers locally who deliver trailer loads for 20 quid a go. each plot holder buys their own!!
You couldn't make it up!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 22:13:10 »
We have a lady who delivers £5 loads to order on a weekly basis .But several chaps come in with trailers and drop it loose just inside our gate on a help yourself basis. :)Being wsm we have donkeys locally and they seem to be grateful to get rid of it
sanity is overated

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 22:37:28 »
We buy our own from a farmer up the road; and then spend ages shovelling it into place.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 23:38:29 »
We all arrange our own deliveries, usually about £30 a trailer-full be it horse or cattle manure.

Ninny

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:54 »
Each plotholder buys their own at £15 per load.  It is delivered as close to the plot as possible and it is the plotholders responsibility to shovel it onto their own immediately when the load is delivered so as to clear the paths etc and not cause an obstruction. (It takes me about 4hours to move one load on my own.)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:32:53 »
We have a few horse owning people who regularly deliver because they are glad to get rid of it. There is a riding stables nearby who save a fortune on 'tipping costs' by using the allotments to dump it. There is more than enough for every one on site and one or two local gardeners donate a small sum to the association for being allowed to bag up some and take it off for their gardens.

We also have a few companies who, when they chop down trees, chip them and leave the chippings for us to use on paths, it all goes. Some buy their own top soil and have it delivered privately. That is their personal choice.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 20:33:17 »
Thanks for sharing all your various methods - it seems to vary a lot. I'll have to make enquries about what's possible locally, and go from there, I suppose.

Very useful to know what you all do.

(ktlawson that sounds exhausting!!!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal