Author Topic: Risotto Rice  (Read 7126 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Risotto Rice
« on: May 21, 2010, 14:18:14 »
Hi
Does anyone on here buy large size bags of risotto rice and if so where? Basically we buy 5or 10 kg bags of basmati, and store it in large tins. I want to be able to do the same for rissotto rice but can only find those tiny 1/2 kg bags. I find buying bulk loads cheaper and saves on trips to the shop!

Thanks

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Risotto Rice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 15:52:03 »
Have you tried somewhere like MAKRO wholesale store...or any other simliar wholesale grocery store?
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 16:31:47 »
http://www.carluccios.com/shop/category/risotto

Carluccios does 1kg bags, doesnt help much with bulk buying and is probably one of the most expensive shops to buy it in.

Have you thought about just buying more bags to save on trips to the shops?

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 17:18:38 »
Tilda apparently do 5kg bags, but these are aimed at the catering trade,so would only be available at wholesalers.

May be worth contacting Tilda though to find out if there is anywhere that you could get them.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 17:39:49 »
thanks for the suggestions  :) I might give Carluccios a miss due to their prices  ::) but the wholesale idea is a good one, I might ask one of the local restaurants if they could organise something for me. I've seen it on sale (in mainland Europe) loose, which would also be perfect - shame it's a bit far to go  ;) just never seen it sold like that here
thanks again

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 17:57:02 »
It sounds like you are very keen on risottos.

I get around a bit and have noticed that shops (including supermarket chains) when they have a store in an area where there is a lot of ethnics, they do cater for them in bulk. One area where there are a lot of Indian/Pakistani. The local ASDA had huge bags of spices and sacks of rice.

Whilst I can not think of the top of my head which ethic group would live in an area where risotto rice would be bought in huge quantities, (you are the expert with that sort of cooking ) if you know where there is a community then that is the area to find the rice you want in bulk at a saving.

I know of families who club together to buy in bulk from wholesale outlets too. It depends where you live but as these places are all keen to make a profit, just tell the manager of the outlet what  you want and let him come back to you with a quote. So long as you will buy up a delivery. Often they will oblige.

Also, I know of grandmas, with their free bus pass go on the bus for some distance with a shopping trolley and shopping list on a weekly basis. Getting items for quite a few others.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 20:07:12 »
http://www.nifeislife.com/rice-polenta-puree-c-111_174.html

Carnaroli is the ONLY rice for risotto.   :) :) :) :) :) :)  Arborio if nothing else, but always buy the best.
The Tuscan Beaneater

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00:44 »
thanks PurpleHeather  :)
We do eat a fair bit of risotto, particularly in the summer, it's a quick and easy meal in the week, and can be added to or extended easily to feed family and friends. my OH is a vegetarian, so nice and easy for both of us, great for using up gluts in the garden. Oh and I do like it!!
I'm just waiting for the 1st batch of peas, or fennel, or courgettes to get started  :)

And I now have a picture in my head of a grandmother lugging a 5kg or 10 kg bag of rice on the bus  ::)  :D

Asbean - I hadn't heard of Carnaroli - so will have to give that a try  ;) thanks for the link

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 20:38:59 »
Oh yes the free bus pass. It does have it's uses. I spend ages chatting, on the bus to other elderly ladies and gentlemen who are doing a favour for the family. By shopping for various things.

It makes us oldies feel useful and a bus ride a week costs so much less than a week's stay in a 'home' costs for the cast off generation. The buses have a special something that lets them lower the platform to fit flush with the pavement too.

Isn't technology wonderful?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 14:43:21 »
Yes, long live the free bus passes, I think they are a great idea, and I know I don't mind paying a few pence towards that service!!

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 22:08:18 »
off topic but my toddlers would love a ride on a bus. As a twin mum I cant get double buggy on the bus as drivers wont let me on.

Will have to keep dissappointing the boys until they are old enough to go somewhere and walk all round without wanting to flake into thier buggy when they get tired.

Oh and I agree canaroli rice is the best risotto rice, more expensive than arborio though

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 14:57:07 »
that's awful not being allowed on a bus with a double buggy, I guess they take up the same room as a wheelchair  :-\ so don't understand. Have you tried contacting the bus company about it (not the drivers) ?

And now thinking of your toddlers and buses I want to sing "the wheels on the bus go round and round"  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal