Author Topic: Hops?  (Read 887 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Hops?
« on: May 21, 2010, 07:05:05 »
I've just seen an advert on facebook for spent hops from a local brewery. What can i use them for please?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Hops?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:34 »
hop pillows to help you sleep and mulching up, I think, Janet..can't find what nutrients are in it ???

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:50 »
I use them a lot, mainly for mulching, then they gradually get incorporated into the soil. Apparently they are a good soil conditioner although they don't have much in the way of nutrients. If you search this site, you'll find quite a few threads, especially from our sadly missed Supersprout, who swore by them and even planted toms on top of bags of hops. One warning- I discovered recently that they can be toxic to dogs if eaten, especially greyhounds.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:07:37 »
Thanks Caroline. I'll do a search. Sounds as they would be good fr daughters & our allotments.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:55 »
They are an excellent conditioner for heavy soil.  Two words of warning:
  • They really need to be dug in, or at least raked in.  When we first tried them we left them on top as a mulch. As they dried out, the wind carried them all over the place.
  • Don't leave them too long in their bags.  The smell, which is quite appealing at first, turns to something that I can only describe as dog mess if they're left sealed up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal