Author Topic: Cabbage trauma  (Read 812 times)

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
Cabbage trauma
« on: May 21, 2010, 06:40:55 »
Hi everyone

A while ago, I tried growing a few cabbages in the garden at home. They started off fine, then holes started to appear in the leaves. The holes got bigger, spread to other leaves, and eventually there was more hole than leaf. In the end the leaves were just gone, all that was left was the stalks.

Now I've got a few cabbages in pots, ready to go on my new allotment. The holes are starting to appear again! (In the middle of the leaves, not from the edges.) What's causing it? What can I do about it?

:'(
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Cabbage trauma
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:00:03 »
Sounds like caterpillars or some other insect to me. Birds wouldn't eat them like that.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:56 »
As long as it's only the outer leaves it doesn't matter as you don't eat those. I should net them against cabbage whites if you're worried, but I haven't seen any yet, and I suspect the problem may be slugs.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 13:13:59 »
It is easy test what it is...couple of slug pellets on piece of cardboad close to your plants...in the morning you can get rid of it all..and no chemical passed to your cabbages..
..my slug pellet container has lasted for me now 5 years,,and I'm not even half way yet.. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal