Author Topic: Wrens  (Read 1912 times)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Wrens
« on: May 19, 2010, 16:45:47 »
has anyone else noticed that there aren't many/any wrens about? Haven't seen one for months and there certainly aren't any nesting.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Wrens
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 16:54:52 »
Many small birds like wrens didn't survive the long cold winter sadly! I've seen just one on the allotments in recent weeks.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 17:01:25 »
yes like the Dartford Warbler in 62 was it

well the birds that did make it through the winter have been breeding like mad, you can't move in the garden without tripping over baby blackbirds and robins  ;D

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 17:39:16 »
I haven't seen any baby blackbirds yet but I've seen the two robins at home with two youngsters!
I also saw two young goldfinches yesterday which was wonderful because I rarely ever see adult ones! :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 17:59:45 »
I've seen both a wren and the odd long-tailed tit on my plot, but there are far less of both than normal. They're the smallest resident species on the site, and as such they're very vulnerable to the cold weather. In the cold weather, I saw long-tailed tits and golcrests in the trees outside the flats, where I'd not=rmally see neither. I think they survived by moving into the city centre where it was a little warmer, but wrens are birds of thick scrub, and it wouldn't have worked for them.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 18:04:37 »
well last week we had 4 baby robins + 2 adults on the bird table at the same time. how weird did that look

the blackbirds at the front and back are both on their second broods. Downside is that I've had 2 tubs of carrots mucked around with, and two trays of brassica seedlings (which were in the greenhouse)

yes we're looking forward to goldfinch young on the feeders. First time we had any goldfinches on the feeders was last year, a pair with 3 young. Finches there every day now (we bought 3 more feeders)  :D

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 18:17:08 »
We have wrens in the front garden, not seen any babies yet but they are obviously nesting somewhere - they are much bolder than usual, seen them in trees as well as scuttling around at ground level.  We have long-tailed tits nesting for the first time in some conifers, a robin in the garage, and I watched 2 adult thrushes showing 4 babies how to find worms on the lawn yesterday.  We had a colder than usual winter here in the East Midlands but fortunately doesn't seem to have been bad enough for losses.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 19:29:14 »
I see wrens in my garden most regular and its at this time of the year they are most fun, I love to make hanging baskets, today I began with 11 (yes 11  ::) and you can gurantee the minute that I make the baskets, the wren will pick a suitable residence to make one of his homes in, its always such fun to watch  :)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:08:57 »
Hi all  :)

I have blackberry brambles growing quite tall and thick at both ends of one of  my plots, I see wrens in and out of them all day, at the moment they seem to arrive in pairs, sit a while and then move on.
I pack the bramble prunings into the fence at the base of the plant every winter where they dry out I think it makes a good habitat for whatever the wrens eat and they can fit in the tiny gaps.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 16:07:37 »
You can have our wrens. The wrens here are a pain- they move into every bird house and throw out the current occupant. We've watched them clean out the occupant's nest, twig by twig. Almost impossible to attract blue birds into our blue bird boxes because of the fierce tiny wrens.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal