Author Topic: Is this the end formy beautiful purple Sage?  (Read 775 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Is this the end formy beautiful purple Sage?
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:44:28 »
I have a large and very beautiful Purple Sage bush which is in its 4th season.  Each year the flowers are georgeous and the plant is an oft admired addition to my plot.

Sadly it is ailing.  The centre seems to be dying out, no new shoots forming.  The outside is flourishing tho.  Is this the beginning of the end, or can I salvage it?  I have taken cuttings which haven't been successful to date, perhaps there's a secret, but they just refuse to root.

I know the answer is out there and any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Is this the end formy beautiful purple Sage?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 15:14:47 »
Unfortunately sage doesn't go on for that many years...
I've had problems rooting those too..but found that the youngest and softest growth does root easier..but still you need quite few cutting to get some success..
I also found that they like plenty of sand and/or grit in compost when rooting...bottom heat helps too..
when you look middle of the cutting surface if you have 'hard centre' evindent..those take long to root..and often do not work..
I also slice across the leaves to reduce the leaf surface..
Good luck.. ;)....do plenty..

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 16:20:38 »
You could try soft wood cuttings in a glass of water on a window sill.  It works for me.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

suncekoret

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 22:05:02 »
One of the easy options is to heap some gritty compost around the outside shoots - they will root into this and can be dug up and moved later

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal