Author Topic: Nibbled Asparagus  (Read 1810 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Nibbled Asparagus
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:57:05 »
Hope no one minds me asking this question again - I have read the 2009 thread but just wandered if any one any more thoughts on the subject.

My Asparagus is definitely being nibbled! I can not find any evidence of slugs, they are planted in raised beds and I can see there is woodlice but can't see anything else- it's not just a few and I have quite a high number of bent ones - not sure what causes that either-

Any thoughts on the subject would be very welcome

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Nibbled Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:40:24 »
It might be worth trying a few organic slug pellets or traps just to see.
Are mice a possibility?
If you are getting bent ones it sounds like they are being damaged either in the soil or when they are emerging and then growing on unevenly.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 23:52:06 »
Although you can't see evidence of slugs, my guess is that slugs are nibbling at your asparagus. Tiny slugs often don't leave much of a trail. The bent stems are a good clue - the slug has a nibble at one side, and the stem then distorts as it grows. Sometimes rots can do this, but if the stem is good and firm, it's probably slugs. A dry mulch will help deter them, with a few organic slug pellets if you want. I haven't noticed woodlice attacking asparagus here.
Problem I've had this year is ground frost knocking out quite a few spears, this weather is hard to deal with.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:19 »
Thanks for responses - those dastardly slugs are obviously at it again  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal