Author Topic: Cockerals  (Read 3021 times)

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
Cockerals
« on: April 24, 2010, 21:51:19 »
I am going to keep some chickens on my allotment is it necessary to keep a cockeral and if so how do you control how many chicks you get.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Cockerals
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 22:01:32 »
I am going to keep some chickens on my allotment is it necessary to keep a cockeral and if so how do you control how many chicks you get.

erm, have you read anything at all about poultry keeping? if you keep collecting all of the eggs you won't get any chicks?
You couldn't make it up!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 22:36:42 »
You don't need any cockerels if you only reason for keeping chickens is to get eggs...hens lay eggs without him..
There is so much to know about chickens and looking after them..you have to read and learn basics... ;) They are lovely things to have and look after but it is hard work too and remember you have to see to them minimum once a day, every day.. so ask yourself...are you willing and able to do that..

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 22:53:27 »
You don't need any cockerels if you only reason for keeping chickens is to get eggs...hens lay eggs without him..
There is so much to know about chickens and looking after them..you have to read and learn basics... ;) They are lovely things to have and look after but it is hard work too and remember you have to see to them minimum once a day, every day.. so ask yourself...are you willing and able to do that..

The amount I need to know before starting is why I am leaving it til january or feb to give me time to learn.  Thanks for the help.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 22:56:30 »
Oh good to know...then you will have plenty of time..some light bed time reading perhaps.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:38:54 »
Hey Paula..just had a look you past post and noticed that you have asked some poultry questions before....Have read of poultry and smallhoulding magazines.. you get those from news agents..perhaps some poultry owner you might know have some of those piled up in corner to borrow...most of us have ::)..libraries have good selection of basics books now...or some of them you can download free..it doesn't matter if they are American versions..basics are same...but look something which is more "backyard" or "small scale" type as those have more info and tips that would be more relevant for your situation.
There is teach yourself series books..for ..keeping poultry...by Victoria  Roberts I would recommend that for you ,,not expensive...and good all round info to get you started..from which breed..to buying..to housing..feeding..health stuff..etc.
I know everybody says..read ..and that might sound fustrating..but once you know the basics it is easier for us too to give relevant help/ answers as often to  something simple would involve biology lesson to really get to the bottom of the simple issue.. and without the basics and us just giving simple answer you might not be any wiser... ;)

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 13:10:24 »
Several members in my allotment group have said they will help me learn what I need to know.  My neighbour has even said he will kill the meat birds for me until I get over being a wimp about it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 13:32:05 »
 :o..I think I am one of those wimps...I only keep my birds for eggs..nice of your neighbour to offer so kindly...but don't feel that you must kill them..if he is happy to keep doing it for you, let him...it is skill of its own to do it correctly that chickens do not suffer while you are at it.
Nice of those people to help you to learn...but I've learned through other hobbies that even if somebody is older than you and has done it for years..it is not guarantee that they really know what they are doing...they might have been doing it wrong for years and years... ::) But you have good opportunity now to learn poultry keeping in two possible ways...read and learn by yourself...listen and learn through others experiences...if you have done your "home work" and know bit about it..then you are in knowledge to ask right questions and even possibly recognise false info... ;)
My thought was originally to eat some of my girls...but over years with each lot...haven't even tasted one...I have always grown to like them too much and now I'm not given even thought about it...I'm perfectly happy with just eggs..and they are giving me "free" fertilizer..pest control, waste disposal, alarm system, stress relief and they are part of the home ;D ;D

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 22:08:13 »

:o..I think I am one of those wimps...I only keep my birds for eggs..

Me too. I've got  four hens including a couple of Black Rocks. Whilst reading this page...

http://www.theblackrock.co.uk/Black_Rock_Hen_Qualities.html

The last but one paragraph really upset me. No way could I eat Cagney or Lacy.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 22:29:58 »
 :o :o...bonus as white fleshed carcass... :o
Oh it does sound cruel...shouldn't diet have an effect for the colour of the flesh?
Leg meat is darker anyway..and corn fed become more yellowy...? 

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 20:02:35 »
I brought storey's guide to chickens and am going through it until I understand as much as possible.  The only thing I don't feel quite up to milking a cockeral for seman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 20:43:54 »
A good site for poultry information and views is www.practicalpoultry.co.uk ,trawl through that for a few nights (if you have time) and you'll get a good insight into what's involved and all the trials and tribulations, just don't believe the person that says 'hens look after themselves' , 'cause there's a lot of work involved to do it right, but all worthwhile!  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:54:20 »
 ;D ;D ;D...I think that if the cockerel needs "milking"..it is no good for it's purpose ::) ;D ;D..It should be able to jump on it's own..unless it is some really fancy feathered type...but then again it doesn't suit allotments.. ::)
Oh well..you'll hear something new everyday.. ::)..You didn't buy book about cows by any chance(mistake)?.. ;D ;)

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 20:19:30 »
Here is the quote
For semen collection, or "milking", you'll need a small glass or cup about the size of an eyecup and a 1 cc eyedropper or syringe (without needle).  The proecdure is easiest if you have a helper to collect the semen while you do the milking.  Hold the thingy in the palm of e hand, with your fingers toward the back end and his legs secured between them.  Withthe fingers, massage the bird's abdomen gently, but rapidly and continously.  Withthe other hand vierously stoke his back above the testes towards the tail.  After several strokes, move your free hand so the palm pushes the tail feathers to the sides of the vent, ready to squeeze (but not yet).  Stop massaging the abdomen with you other fingers and press upward.
As soon as the bird's organ appears, gently sqeex out the creamy white semon while you helper collects it in a cup.  It then tells you how to inseminate the female any one want to know??????  Personally if the bird can't performe in that respect he can perform dinner duties and be roasted.

JJane01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 20:37:41 »
A cockerel being "milked".... is that something for him to crow about or will he be teased by his ladies?!

Of course, you can always bypass the cockerel stage and buy fertilised eggs.  The only word of caution I'd add about having a mother hen with chicks is to think about what to do if you end up with those chicks being boys and not girls...

We have chickens in our back garden; I wouldn't keep them on the allotment because I'd worry about them, we don't go down there every night so it's easier to have them at home.... scratching up the borders, doing poo patrols behind them, watching them herd the cat away from their dish of snacks, watching the cat ambush them (yes, I am keeping a close eye on our cat!).

They do need work, they do like attention but they're fab - they have their own personalities, they have incredibly bad table manners and they are so funny to watch chasing each other to snatch from one mouth to another the tidbit they've found in the garden.

Chickens are fab.  Do your research, plan and prepare well, get them when you're ready and know what you're having them for (not what everyone else wants you to have them for!).... and then enjoy and laugh and learn.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal