Author Topic: Label disaster  (Read 1341 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Label disaster
« on: May 12, 2010, 23:11:53 »
Hi All

I just thought that I would let everyone have a good chuckle!  I spent a good few hours a couple of weeks ago carefully platning and labelling all my lovely pumpkins, squash, watermelon, butternut, pottimaron pumpkin,  courgettes, cucmber, munchkin pumpkin etc.  I left feeling very proud of myself.... ;D.

The only problem was that I watered everything in the greenhouse with a sprinkle the first time and when I came back a day or two later to check on progress realised that the marker I had used was not a permanent one as I had thought and all the names have been washed off.  I now am not sure how the heck I am going to be able to identify them :-[ :-[ :-[......Not sure if the leaves are different or not.  Anyone got any ideas or tips??

Some of the beans I think that I have managed to rescue and think I know what they are  (fingers crossed).  The worst that can happen is that I plant dwarf beans on the long trellises and vise versa.  The corn I could identify. 

Regards Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Label disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 23:21:01 »
I did have a  chuckle - but what a mess! Maybe Jeannine will be along soon to help with the squash etc. identification. I seem to remember she helped someone identify some squash varieties. Some have smooth leaves, others have furry undersides but that may only be possible to see when the plants are more mature.

I'm growing a tomato plant that was self-seeded but came up so strong I couldn't bring myself to discard it - and one of my plants is either a chilli or a sweet pepper. Don't know what happened to the label!

Tricia

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 23:33:09 »
i too have an unidentified chilli/pepper!
i wouldnt worry too much jitterbug,if you have only mixed up the labels of the same family,which you will tend in the same way...youll just have lots of lovely surprises when they fruit! not very scientific im afraid....
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:25:29 »
I had the same with beans last year, my niece helped me by planting them, forgot to tell her some were non climbing ones so they all got put by the poles, I wondered why I had more beans than supports until I remembered, plus, the labels were all still in the containers  ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:02:15 »
Been there done it. Even had permanent marker bleached off by the sun

I now have round brown and round black pots, square ones and those which come in sets of six. I note on the seed packet 'round brown' square black' and so on. 

Most you will identify easily even the climbing beans before they need to be planted but I too would love to know how to identify peppers and chillis, even seen beside one another when in flower the difference is not that obvious,

Good luck

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:37:51 »
Use pencil next time.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:18 »
Oh dear... poor you!

But you're far from alone...
I have three mystery batches of toms this year, because back when all my tom seedlings were at the plant-me-out stage, OH knocked over the container all three seed-pots were in (did an excellent job, too - plants and compost all over the place).

Hence the bonkers labelling, on all the survivors, of "???Tigerella/Super Marmande/Gardener's Delight???" 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 17:03:33 »
I can help identify then when are bigger XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 19:00:44 »
Its funny how a good old HB Pencil does the trick!! I have never found permanent markers to last the summer on white labels.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal