Author Topic: Vote Lib-Dem, elect a Tory??  (Read 5766 times)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Vote Lib-Dem, elect a Tory??
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 08:53:23 »

Personally I would like more referendum type votes. I can only remember one, that was when Ted Heath was PM, where we voted whether or not to go into the Common Market. We voted for it.

Minor correction. We were never consulted about joining the Common Market. The referendum was on whether we should remain in it with all the penalties leaving would have incurred. By that time we'd already broken our historic trading ties with places like New Zealand.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36:00 »
I notice Cameron called it the Lib Con coalition ...surely it's the Con Dem coalition.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 10:43:49 »
I notice Cameron called it the Lib Con coalition ...surely it's the Con Dem coalition.

Lib Con Coalition = Colonic Libation  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 16:58:31 »
Why doesn't the man with the most votes win..period XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 17:35:38 »

Because even though the Tories had the most votes, all the other parties added together amounted to more votes.  Any bills that the Tories tried to put through could be outvoted by everyone else and some of them that they had planned in their manifesto, would definitely have been over ruled by the other parties.  

Now that there is a Lib/Con coalition, they will be able to get some of their bills through, but the one that was designed to make the richest people in the country much better off had to be dropped as it is against what the Libs stand for, ie. to help the less well off people in society, not the richest.

I hope this answers your question Jeannine.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 18:00:47 »
Cameron and Clegg

anyone thinking Ant and Dec?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 18:09:45 »
Cameron and Clegg

anyone thinking Ant and Dec?

Not really, no.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 18:18:39 »
don't worry, you will

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 18:21:27 »
I saw that somewhere else & didn't get it then - must be missing something. What's it referring to, just the fact that they're a double act ??? Like, erm, Bill & Ben?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 18:37:44 »
I saw that somewhere else & didn't get it then - must be missing something. What's it referring to, just the fact that they're a double act ??? Like, erm, Bill & Ben?

Seems to be a reference to a daily mail article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/election/article-1277978/UK-ELECTIONS-2010-David-Cameron-Nick-Clegg-Ant--Dec-politics.html

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 18:39:58 »

Seems to be a reference to a daily mail article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/election/article-1277978/UK-ELECTIONS-2010-David-Cameron-Nick-Clegg-Ant--Dec-politics.html

Ahhhh, thanks BM, that makes sense...  ::)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 19:19:05 »
oh if it was in the Mail, I take it all back. Well, not really

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 19:31:12 »
Shoot me down if you wish.  I live in France so I could have voted but chose not to, I will vote in the local elections here, which I am entitled to.

The last government did nothing for my family.  We worked hard, paid our taxes and employees according to the guidelines.  We had no control over disiplining the lads we employed even though several reps told us that when my OH was off site the sat down and did nothing.  To finish a job I was 8 months pregnent and painting a house.  Not allowed to sack them incase they sued us  ???

Tax credits, on record we were allowed what seemed an enourmous amount.  I questioned this, got dates, times etc.  Got a letter over here saying they had over paid and needed to pay x-amount back.  If we defaulted and came back to the UK then we would still owe it.  

I accidentaly got the tax credit form for the people that bought our house, they managed to get a big mortagage and managed to get a £6k rebate. They even stole my OH identity through bank accounts and mobile phones.  His name was Mr Khan, dare I say this, well yes!!

Time for change, yes.  Glad it is between the two parties.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 19:43:51 »
Apparently Gordy went ballistic when he knew that the Libs had thrown their lot in to go along with the Conservatives, personally I hope it will be a good working coalition for the country and the right decisions are made and hopefully Eric&Ernie will have a long and happy career, ;)  

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 22:04:26 »
Amen and fingers crossed to that.

valmarg

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 22:24:44 »
your point being, cocopops, what exactly?

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 00:11:19 »
your point being, cocopops, what exactly?

??? what don't you understand? 

amphibian

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 08:55:54 »
We had no control over disiplining the lads we employed even though several reps told us that when my OH was off site the sat down and did nothing.  To finish a job I was 8 months pregnent and painting a house.  Not allowed to sack them incase they sued us  ???

So which laws did the last government impose that caused this to be the case?

It's pure nonsense too, you can fire someone that doesn't do their job, the only thing that protects them is your misplaced belief that you can't. Did you even put them on a warning?

What makes you think they could sue you, on what grounds?

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 09:18:39 »
We were members of the Federation of Small Business'.  Their legal advisors warned us against it.  We used their contracts and did everything by the book.  It is ok to say of 'course you can sack them'.  It is totally different when you are the one being warned against it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 10:26:45 »
That was partly how Hitler got in ... although 3 Million more Germans voted for somebodyelse... (Several anybody elses which split their 20M votes....)  :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal