Author Topic: Vote Lib-Dem, elect a Tory??  (Read 5733 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Vote Lib-Dem, elect a Tory??
« on: May 11, 2010, 18:36:06 »
W T F is that all about?

if this was on the cards before the election, would many folk have voted Lib-Dem, knowing they were electing the Tories? I doubt it!! >:(
You couldn't make it up!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Vote Lib-Dem, elect a Tory??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 19:02:32 »
they did say Vote Nick, Get Dave

but on a positive note, for a few hours yesterday it looked like Vote Nick, Get Harriet, or even vote Nick, Get Balls   :o  ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 19:23:19 »
Nick's job was to best represent the views of those who voted for him - and our vision didn't involve the sodding Tories. Still, lets see what happens before we get too hot under the collar!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 19:41:32 »
I thought you'd have voted Tory Ollie.    ??? ??? ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 19:45:53 »
just sent a complaint by filling in the contact form
https://www.libdems.org.uk/contact.aspx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 19:55:24 »
Brown has just resigned and Cameron is said to be on his way to the Palace? Xx Jeannie
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 19:56:30 »
How dare the liberals decide who I voted for, never again  >:(

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 20:13:00 »
Sound like what you are saying is that the TRIBAL method is old hat and what we need is a way of voting for A.......B...C or others..

After all

I may say I want A to win if not B

You may say I want X to win if not A

The method we had dates back for loads of time but we now have technology in place for people to make multiple selections

We need to Utilise it.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 20:20:15 »
I thought you'd have voted Tory Ollie.    ??? ??? ???

Haha!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 20:25:25 »
I'd just like somebody to start running the country properly.
I won't hold my breath >:(
sanity is overated

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 20:34:10 »
Never mind the 'New Labour' Lib Dem deal that is never going to happen,   Alex Salmond must be in dream land when he suggests that HIS party the Scottish Nationalist Party and Plaid Cwmru which is a Welsh nationalist party could support 'New Labour' in their hour of need, roll on an English Parliament for the good folk of England, 

Cherryblossom

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 23:45:41 »
 Its time the politicians grew a pair & started running the country the way we would like it run.  Fairness to ALL.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:31:18 »
Oh come on! What did you expect. I take it you were accompanied by a responsible adult when you went to vote, you knew that it would be a hung vote when you picked out a party that only stood a snowballs chance in hell of getting in. The country wanted Brown out, this is what you got.

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:08:57 »

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Couldn't agree more ACE.  We now await the £6 million of cuts, the high unemployment that will go with it and a return to a recession.   :o

The only saving grace with the Lib/Con pact is that the Tories have had to shelve their inheritance tax cuts which would have given 3,000 of the richest people in the country, £200,000 each.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 09:21:37 »
I put a lot of effort into campaigning for the Lib dems - canvassing, leafletting, poll station telling, and donated a more than tiny amount of money. I was naturally disappointed with our performance... But the electorate gave us what we got and you have to make the best of it. The facts are that nobody won, overall people are fed up with New Labour, cuts are needed, and that the Lib Dems will at least act as a counterbalance to the more right wing parts of the Tory party; as a moderator to the old Thatcherites.

I still have blisters on my feet from the last few weeks (I reckon I walked about 50 miles a week for the last 2!), and this sticks in the throat a bit. Having spent so much effort fighting our new bedfellows, I can't help feeling some ambivalence but trying to be objective I really think this is the most sensible outcome in the interests of the country.

Labour did so much good, but they have also wasted huge amounts of money on pointless projects and have eroded many of our civil liberties. Let's hope some of this can be fixed now.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:32:20 by OllieC »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 14:46:33 »

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 15:06:20 »
Ollie

That is - perhaps - the best of all worlds!

I was not happy voting Tory - I wasn't particularly happy - although I did - voting liberal - so I am happier at the outcome and their plan of action that I would have been had either party won outright!

Hope it all works out according to plan now!

Hey Ollie - I walk probably 60 miles a week - every week - sometimes more!  You need to get the blisters healed and start doing it more regularly!

Old Bird

;D

Old Bird

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 18:43:15 »
WE.....The voters, it seems wanted, that lot to sort them selves out and give us a mix of the good bits .

From what I can see of the result that is about what we got or near enough.

Now then, if you were given a ballot paper which offered you a choice of  say 5 candidates and you put them in order of your preference so that the first one got 5 points the second 4  and so on..

In the end the candidate with the highest score won.......Would that suit you?

Perhaps you could leave out candidates you definately did not want so that you did not need to use all your votes..... Just give your prefered candidate 5 and leave it at that.

I think that makes sense.......The technology is available to do voting that way. Why not use it?

Personally I would like more referendum type votes. I can only remember one, that was when Ted Heath was PM, where we voted whether or not to go into the Common Market. We voted for it.

I wonder how we would all vote if we had a fererendum on 'going to war' each time..... That would be interesting......

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 19:20:06 »
WE.....The voters, it seems wanted, that lot to sort them selves out and give us a mix of the good bits .

From what I can see of the result that is about what we got or near enough.

Now then, if you were given a ballot paper which offered you a choice of  say 5 candidates and you put them in order of your preference so that the first one got 5 points the second 4  and so on..

In the end the candidate with the highest score won.......Would that suit you?

Perhaps you could leave out candidates you definately did not want so that you did not need to use all your votes..... Just give your prefered candidate 5 and leave it at that.

I think that makes sense.......The technology is available to do voting that way. Why not use it?

Personally I would like more referendum type votes. I can only remember one, that was when Ted Heath was PM, where we voted whether or not to go into the Common Market. We voted for it.

I wonder how we would all vote if we had a fererendum on 'going to war' each time..... That would be interesting......

That is alternative vote which is as much as the coalition will give us.  I wanted bigger constituencies and preference voting (again ranking candidates but ending up with a few and not just one) which is what the Lib Dems campaigned for.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 22:56:55 »

Your memory is somewhat wrong.  The British public were never given a referendum on whether we should join.

It was Harold Wilson that held the referendum, and it was not on whether we should 'join' the Common Market, but rather, having joined whether we should stay in.  I know, I voted in that referendum.

We were conned by Heath on whether we should join, and we were conned by Wilson on whether we should stay in.

What was on offer then was a Common Market, not a federal Europe, with all our laws being overridden by an unelected. moneygrubbing elite in Brussels.

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal