Author Topic: Weed Gun  (Read 1503 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Weed Gun
« on: May 05, 2010, 17:37:57 »
I wandered into Lidls this morning to see if they had any fruit bushes left (no), & spotted aweed gun for £15 & wondered  - a:- would it be any good & b:- would it be ok to use it on my hundreds of dandelions in the so called lawn. I know it would leave brown bits but then so does the Roundup & I'm not happy using chemicals with the cats around. Before anyone suggests it digging it all up & starting again is not an option!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Weed Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 17:59:47 »
If you mean one of the flame guns, it's no more effective than chopping the top off every now and then. If they're in your lawn, try letting it grow a few inches every time before you cut it. The dandelion leaves will rise up towards the light, and you can then get them with the mower. They won't take a monthly chop indefinitely.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 20:46:44 »
If you have chosen the healthy route, that is no chemicals, you need a daisy weeder, which is basically  a narrow piece of metal. or blade, with a short V fork in the end. With this you wangle the roots out as best you can.  ;)

The most important thing is not to let them seed.  :o

The weed gun works by quickly scorching the foliage, it then wilts and dies. Each time it recovers do the same again untill it gives up. It is literally a quick blast of heat not an incineration. I can t saya thet the fuel used is a very green option  ::)

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 21:43:51 »
I've got one of these - bought it last year from Lidl too!  I've found it quite good on the dandelions, but I do have to go over them several times before they finally give up, and also they seem to be able to continue to produce flowers after I've given them the once over from the weed gun, as though in a last desperate attempt to propogate themselves!  So I actually still have to manually pick off  flowers every day, and then go over them all again a few days later with the weed gun - it is a bit time consuming I must admit!  I'm of the same opinion though - I really don't like using chemicals.  Think I might get a daisy weeder to try and see how I get on with that.  It seems that whichever method you use, apart from the old weedkiller, it's time consuming, but the weed gun did work for me in the end, with some persistence!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 22:28:09 »
I got one of these a few years ago. I am too impatient with it. You need to hold it on each weed for ages.  Great for getting the incinerator lit though!
The weeding tool that Lidl sell for £3.99 is brill!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 19:20:36 »
How long do the gas canisters last?

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 18:16:08 »
Hard to say how long they last. It really depends on how much you use them. I am still on my first one and hav had it a few years.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 13:27:44 »
Wilkies sell them now too

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal