Author Topic: tyres?  (Read 1480 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
tyres?
« on: May 08, 2010, 23:18:12 »
Someone on my local freecycle wants some tyres to make a raised bed on their plot. Didnt think we was allowed to have them. We are not on ours. Am i right in thinking this or is it just on our site?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: tyres?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 23:28:48 »
We've banned them on our site tho' ones already there remain.We had a plotholder leave about 80   yes 80 on her plot and it cost the club about £100 to get rid of them.
I think restrictions may be different from site to site
sanity is overated

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:47:15 »
Tyres are not just  made of rubber, they contain lots of bad additives that you don't want anywhere near your food crops.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:13:26 »
Have sent them a message saying they should check on their site first or they could end up with a load of tyres to get rid of. I wouldnt use them.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 14:31:42 »
Tyres are not just  made of rubber, they contain lots of bad additives that you don't want anywhere near your food crops.
Bob Flowerdew addressed this criticism on a recent GQT.  He acknowledged that there was some concern but from his research concluded that there wasn't a significant problem.  He uses old tyres extensively.

Bazz, unless the site rules prohibit tyres there's nothing to stop you using them, though you'd actually need to be seen to use them; every site should have a rule about accumulating rubbish so if they're not being used you'd have to get rid of them.

Tenants leaving their crap behind certainly is a problem and tyres are expensive to dump so it's not just a question of the committee going in and clearing up at just the cost of their time.  But you have to balance that against the legitimate right of the tenant to garden how they want. 

Tyres can also be used for building but the problem of clearing up at the end of the building's life put's me off a bit, but then getting rid of anything you can't burn is a problem so I'm still interested in the potential of using tyres like this.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal