Author Topic: calaloo  (Read 1222 times)

fi

• Half Acre
calaloo
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:14 »
i have been given a pack of calaloo seeds any tips (no instructions on packet) all i know is it's nicer than spinach and is grown in the afro-caribbean but can be grown here. should i be asking for a corner in a poly-tunnel?

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
Re: calaloo
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 14:22:27 »
Judging by the way it tries to take over our allotment, you should have no problems with it whatsoever. When we first got our plot, after going away for a week we returned to find it covered with a carpet of reddish green seedlings. They turned out to be self-seeding calaloo, on a mission to conquer the known world. We just about got it under control, but it stills pops up every now and then.
As for the question of what it is like: well, Mrs Low did a great job of cooking some with garlic and chili, and very nice it was too, but I still think spinach is better.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 00:10:08 »
Stewing calaloo in coconut milk shows it off to its best advantage.

It probably is better than the other amaranths, chards, chenopods and beet-related spinach substitutes.

In my opinion New Zealand spinach is the best spinach to eat raw - sometimes it manages a hint of fresh pea.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

mhj75

• Not So New ...
  • Bristol - it's mint
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 20:17:28 »
I love callaloo. We cook it with onions, garlic, tomato and seasoning. It's lovely. I didn't know you could grow it in the UK. Does anyone know where I can get seeds? And when to plant?

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 21:30:24 »
the seeds were given to me by a friend who had bought them back from Jamaica. if successful i shall try and seed save, if successful i will send you some, and self seeding everywhere it cant be too difficult. sounds like good stuff, thanks for replies.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:28:59 »
Thay have the seeds on e bay Uk and a company called Plant me now in the uk XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal