Author Topic: Tomato side shoots  (Read 2976 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Tomato side shoots
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:44 »
The Tigerella tomato seeds my son planted on the 2nd of Feb have grown to about 8 to 12" tall and some have the first lot of little green flower buds appearing.
I've read on here about nipping off side shoots, can someone try and describe where these are please, so that I don't nip off the wrong bits?
Also they're in 6" pots (I think) atm, how big do the plants need to get before I re pot them into their final pots (Black flower buckets) or can I do that at anytime?
Thank you ;)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Tomato side shoots
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:43:36 »
Where a main leaf stem meets the main stem of the plant you will get a side branch forming - it looks like a new growing point because that is just what it is!!.  In most varieties these side branches are pinched out to concentrate growth on the main growing point and to control the amount of fruit cordons..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/5579726/How-to-grow-tomatoes.html shows it better than I can say...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:17 »
Where a main leaf stem meets the main stem of the plant you will get a side branch forming - it looks like a new growing point because that is just what it is!!.  In most varieties these side branches are pinched out to concentrate growth on the main growing point and to control the amount of fruit cordons..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/5579726/How-to-grow-tomatoes.html shows it better than I can say...

Oh that's great thank you, very informative article.  ;D

I can also plant these side shoots as cuttings, correct?
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:18 »
Correct  ;D - I have never done so myself but some folks seem to do well out of it - gives you a crop later in the year..

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:22:14 »
When I want to root the shoots, I let them grow a few inches, then I pop the cut end in a glass of water until white roots appear. Then I plant them into a pot.

Which varieties are you growing, they're not bush varieties are they? If so don't pinch out sideshoots at all.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:27:27 »
Tigerella or also known as Mr Stripy, is the variety.
Actually, I don't know if it is a bush type or..?

Information on the others as to their type would also be appreciated, Money Maker, Matina and Santini Yellow (Santini is saved seed from M&S bought so may not be true to type)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:30:08 by Mortality »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 19:50:42 »
Tigerella and money maker are both not bush varieties - cant say for the others..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 21:06:19 »
Matina is also one you would prune XX Jeannine..
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 22:25:19 »
Tigerella or also known as Mr Stripy, is the variety.
Actually, I don't know if it is a bush type or..?

Information on the others as to their type would also be appreciated, Money Maker, Matina and Santini Yellow (Santini is saved seed from M&S bought so may not be true to type)

They're all vine types, except Santini, which I do not know about. However, it is a commercial variety and whether it is a bush or cordon variety will probably depend on whether it is a glass house tomato or a field tomato.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:55 »
I let the 'cuttings' get to the non-bendy stage, dip them in rooting powder & plant up.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:45:00 »
Amphibian why,,sorry I don't understand XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 21:07:12 »
Amphibian why,,sorry I don't understand XX Jeannine

Glasshouse grown commercial tomatoes are typically cordon and field grown typically bush, one to allow for a nice tall plant with a small footprint that can be grown close together and provide an ongoing crop, the later for a machine harvestable one hit crop.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal