Author Topic: chicken on eggs  (Read 1776 times)

paulinemargaret

• Not So New ...
chicken on eggs
« on: April 29, 2010, 21:54:54 »
Hi i have a chicken sitting on 6 eggs but have forgoten how long it takes to hatch plus 3 more have gon broody on me
how do i stop them i keep slinging them out of nest but they go back when my back is turned
Pauline

Funky Farmer

• Not So New ...
    • My Pictures
Re: chicken on eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 22:05:48 »
Hi i have a chicken sitting on 6 eggs but have forgoten how long it takes to hatch plus 3 more have gon broody on me
how do i stop them i keep slinging them out of nest but they go back when my back is turned
Pauline

21 days is the incubation period for most large fowl.Bantam between 19-21 days.

When you want to stop one, this is called "breaking up" a broody. Sometimes just putting her in a pen where she can't see her old nest and keeping her there for 4 days will do the job. She should, of course, have feed and water.
Now where did I put that _______? ( Fill in blank space)

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 17:58:42 »
Don't let her make a nest if possible and somewhere not too warm. My broody crate was a wooden frame with chicken wire all around it so air could circulate under the chook and cool her down. After three days she had forgotten about being broody.

Sounds like you'll need a few broody crates through  ;)

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 16:25:35 »
Just lift them gently off the nest while you remove the eggs. Yes she will go back and sit until her broodyness is over but why not. It's just nature.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal