Author Topic: Cordon vs Bush tomatoes  (Read 11917 times)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
Cordon vs Bush tomatoes
« on: May 04, 2010, 14:18:28 »
This is probably the most stupid question on here, but asked in innocence an an attempt to increase my knowledge. I understand that tomatoes are split into bush and cordon varieties - ie cordon are grown as a single stem through pinching out side shoots and bush varieties grow unhindered on multiple stems. My devil's advocate question is - why? What is it that determines whether a variety is best cultivated as a single or multi-stem plant? And what would be the outcome if the 'opposite' training method were used? (I anticipate you will all say poorer/fewer fruits but why is that?)

Taking the hypothetical a bit further, say I were given a healthy tomato plant but with no information about variety. Is there any way to tell if this is cordon or bush? If not, which should be assumed, to ensure most success? I am not in that position, but do have a few varieties of tomatoes all about the same size (and all labelled before you ask so this really IS hypothetical) and I can't see any obvious differences between them, hence my curiosity. Is there a clue in the way the flowers or trusses form perhaps? My feeling is that cordon varieties need lots of support so maybe they hold their fruit in a different way to bushes?

And lastly. is there any variety that falls in between the two types? I'm thinking maybe a hanging basket with two plants, one trained as a cordon up the chain and one left to hang, but both the same variety.

Thanks in anticipation of your answers. I'm new to gardening (it is probably obvious) but keen to understand things.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Cordon vs Bush tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 14:36:12 »
ohh...how much space have we got for an answer.. ::) ;D..ok...
bush...doesn't grow tall so limited amount of growth for to produce crop..if grown like cordon yield would be minimal...
cordon....as it has upright growth habit with tendency to reach great lenght..yes you would get crop if left untrained and pinched..but you would also end up with  moster plant that would crawl all over...now if your branches were to lie down agains soil..fruit would not be too nice ;)
If you were to give plant without label..I would grow as semi-bush..let it grow so far as with bush, flowers would emerge soon to the side shoots..if they would not emerge and the side shoot were just streching further..they would get chop and cordon it would be..
Yes there is semi-bush types..one that comes to my mind is Super Marmande..some authors say it's cordon, some bush..it really it falls between..

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 14:40:29 »
If the sideshoots were pinched out on a determinate (bush) tomato you would end up with little or no fruit.
If the sideshoots were not pinched out on an indeterminate (cordon, vining) variety then the plant would use its energy to put on new growth at the expense of fruit so you would get fewer/smaller tomatoes.

If you have no info on the variety then you look at the way it grows.
A determinate variety will grow to a fixed height sending out new branches with flowers on the end of them & will often fruit on all its branches at once over a few weeks.
An indeterminate variety will continue growing upwards sending out flower trusses directly from the main stem with fruit all ripening at different times until it dies back in the winter months.

There are quite a lot of semi determinate varieties about too which need some puning but not as much as an indeterminate variety.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 14:45:38 »
...In commercial greenhouses tomatoes are grown for to get absolute maximum out of them..they grow cordon varieties which will reach several meters high....if they were to grow bush varieties..they would take similar "floor"space but as they only grow 1 metre high (or so) there would be majority of the space for growing wasted..and cropping limited ...

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 15:01:56 »
Thanks - that is fascinating. The hypothetical gifted plant did happen two years ago when I was given an unknown variety, but sadly the poor thing never lasted as I ended up in hospital for some emergency treatment and OH had more to worry about than bringing in a tomato plant when there was a late frost!

So, cordons generally send flower trusses from a joint with the main stem and bushes from actually on the side branches?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 15:25:19 »
So, cordons generally send flower trusses from a joint with the main stem and bushes from actually on the side branches?
Yes.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 15:48:39 »
I've grown 'Roma' for some years and up till this year have always grown it as  a cordon, with great success and excellent crops. Now I discover that it is actually a bush, so this year I'm trying that - but can anyone explain that anomaly? Any Roma experts out there?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 16:12:12 »
Roma is semi-determinate IIRC, it flowers from both .... I've grown it as a bush before but will be trying as a cordon (both indoors and out) this year.....

chrisc

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 17:55:54 »
Thanks Chris - backs up my experience! I'll try both ways too.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 18:20:34 »
As I know some varieties grow to a certain height and then stop(bush) whereas others keep going(cordon)

And some just cannot make up their minds.

I used to worry about these things but now I just grow them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal