Author Topic: Pear tree disease  (Read 3054 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Pear tree disease
« on: May 07, 2010, 23:13:19 »
Can anyone identify what this is? I've googled - but nothing similar shows up. I had it on one pear tree last year and got no harvest as a result. This year it has started to show on a conference tree which has lots of incipient fruit. If anyone can help and suggest a remedy I'd be very grateful - I hate the prospect of losing all those lovely pears!

Tricia

[attachment=1][attachment=2]

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Pear tree disease
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:53:25 »
Maybe leaf blister mite? In which case, pick off the infected leaves and dispose of them.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 17:34:32 »
Agree. Pear leaf blister mite, can be a real pain.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 17:49:35 »
Thanks for the info. My tree is widely infected so removing all the leaves is really not an option. I've googled and some say it is not serious while others say the mites bury themselves in the budding fruit causing damage. I remember that last year the affected tree ended up with no fruit at all. Just have to wait and hope I guess. Odd that the problem this year is on a different tree.

There was some advice on using an oil and sulphur spray in winter. What type of oil would that be? Is there a commercial product I could use then?

Tricia

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 21:45:23 »
There's some info here on what you could use, though not sure if some are still available:
http://www.dovebugs.co.uk/Pear%20leaf%20blister%20mite.pdf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal