Author Topic: Have you got your free bus pass yet and how do you use it?  (Read 2794 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Have you got your free bus pass yet and how do you use it?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 23:00:38 »
I have used mine about 3 times since I got it 4 years ago.

I think I saw you at the bus stop

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:25 »
My wife and I have occasionally used our bus passes since we had the original local ones which gave a 50% reduced fare. We don't use them excessively (like some people I have heard of, who use them for day trips whenever possible). I use mine for occasional local rides, visits to my stepdaughter and family (about 100 miles each way, once or twice a year) and during the University Exams. Period when I work for the University. I used to use my car but the University have tightened up on parking and I cannot now use the car to attend. For early morning sessions I have to pay a single fare going and return on the pass (which is fair enough).

I would prefer going back to half fare rather than losing the pass altogether. If it went back to half fare it would save more than half the present cost to local authorities as many of the "Day Trippers" would not use it so much.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:26 »
We have had our bus passes for the last two years and very useful they are too, we use them all the time when we are away with the caravan like last weekend at Statford, also to go into town when I'm having a couple of beers, :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 07:35:16 »
There are a lot of people who refuse to use their free bus passes or even get one. I live midway between two major hospitals where the local buses drop off  and pick up passengers right in front of the entrance.

Often as the bus pulls in the carpark is full . The car driver pays for parking there even though for some it means a long walk to and  from where they have had to park. The buses all have a drop down facility so that the platform is flush with the kerb. A place inside the bus for wheelchairs and prams. I do not know the statistics of the age of all out patients and visitors but from observation I would suggest that they seems to be a larger proportion of senior citizens. Often entitled to an ambulance or free car ride for the journey. DHSS claimants can reclaim bus fares when they attend a hospital . A lot of the elderly would be entitled to reclaim bus fares if they did not have their passes because they get means tested benefits as well as their pensions.

The criteria for a bus (rather than a coach) is that there are 15 miles or less between stops, so even a lot of express buses can be used too.

In Spain, the elderly get a free weeks holiday during the winter, to keep the hotels going whilst the tourists are not there.  The government subsidises hotels to keep the industry going. Otherwise the hotel staff are kept on half pay over winter.

Subsidising industries and jobs is better instead of having people unemployed  and since the free bus passes have come in to being the frequency of buses has increased. There would still be subsidies for bus companies, so that a service existed in a lot of areas and by doing it by giving the passes to the elderly and disabled means that the companies still get a subsidy and people get a ride. The seats would still be there on subsidised bus routes whether there were bums on them or not.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal