Author Topic: Dying Butternut Squash  (Read 1216 times)

brian4951

• Not So New ...
Dying Butternut Squash
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:15:24 »
Hi,I have grown seedlings of butternut squash but now they're getting their secondary leaves, the first set of leaves start to wither and the plant dies. They are not in the cold or overwatered and no signs of dampening off. Any ideas please? Brian

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Dying Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:26:23 »
Have you transplanted them?..are they all together and all affected?
If you pick one off that is dying is there any sign of damage just below soil level?..or to the roots?  Could you water /compost been contaminated with something..is any other plant showing any signs of problems?
I think you got it..we need a bit more info ;)

brian4951

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 22:30:20 »
hi Goodlife, they are in separate pots having been transplated very carefully from seed trays. There's no sign of damage below soil level or to the roots. Compost is new J Arthur Bowers for cuttings and seedlings. No other plants affected. They are in the conservatory away from the cold especially the nights and it's not hot during the day as it's north facing.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:06:46 »
Bit unsure here.. how many secondary leaves have they got, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:28:32 »
strange, isn't it, Brian..all the first leaves have fallen off my butternuts but the 'proper' leaves are racing away, they're in the unheated poly now in 9" pots..they were the free seeds from dig it (BBC)  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 22:20:05 »
That was why I asked how many leaves, the first pair usually do fall off and it worries some folks, I was trying to find out if the true leaves were fallin off which might be a problem XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 22:47:15 »
I sowed mine in unheated greenhouse two weeks ago - only one has come up so far  :(  I'm hoping that it's just too cold for them at the mo.

I may start off some more - and then the first lot would all pop their heads above the soil!!

Alison

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal