Author Topic: Help please new  (Read 1820 times)

stocko75

• Quarter Acre
  • my beautiful children
Help please new
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:17:43 »
Hi guys looking for basic advice
I've taken over lookin after our alotment and apart from reading complicated Books I want to know basics.

I have huge plot so lots of digging and weeding.
I actually dug one small patch so far and planted garlics.
Is there anything that can go in yet.  I have bought my onion and shallot sets and early potatoes.
Would you wait till feb march to plant them
Out or can anything be done yet?  Got my seeds and greenhouse ready can any of these be done in trays indoors yet.  Also I have heard people mention fertilising the ground do I need to do this and what with!!

Thanks in advance you can see ive only really just become interested in this even though we have had the alotment for years my partner has always done it

Thanks nikki

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Help please new
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:36 »

I should slow down a bit.   Gardening is (or should be) a pleasure.   If you go at it like a bull at a gate you will run out of puff and enthusiasm.

You can plant various veggies in pots early but there may be a halt in growth when they are planted out and the seeds planted later may catch up.

I should pick the brains of your fellow allotmenteers to see just how the local weather conditions affect the local growing regime.         8)

Cheers,      Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:49:14 »
I would just carry on digging and clearing any deep rooted weeds like dandelions and doc and getting rid of brambles and nettles...anything perennial. Other than that there is no hurry. Looks like our winter is only just started so its better not to rush into anything.
Have you got heating in your GH?
If you are really, really itching to get something started..you could sow some leeks and perharps some salads into pots. If you start them off indoors (unless you have heating in GH) in few weeks time you can then take them into GH. You could transplant your salads into larger pot or bucket and get first crops that way.. ;)
Next month..if you are itching even more..you could pot some of your shallots individually. Those will then be ready to plant in march, same time with your non-growing shallots. That way you get some shallots little bit earlier to crop.
There is no need fertilizing the ground for sake of it. If there is no crops growing..all the nutrients from fertilizers are just waisted and washed away with rain. What you can apply is lime. If you are going to grow some cabbages/brussels/kale/cauli..anyting from brassica family...they will benefit bit of lime. It will take some time to work into your soil so winter is good time to apply. You just spread it on the plot where you are going to grow these crops and let it be...easy! It will look like light dusting of snow on your soil for a while.
As for fertilizers...I've got 2 general fertilizer that I use all the time. Chicken manure pellets and blood,fish and bone meal. Those I use when ever I'm about plant something...by either applying it on the ground and raking it in couple of weeks before planting or immediately after planting and leaving it on surface in which case it will take couple of weeks before it start 'working'. It all depends how big plants are which method I use or how soon they are going to need their 'breakkie'.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:04:03 »
Chiilies can be sown indoors now, as they need a long growing time.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:05:00 »
thats really good advice. I been veggy growing for 10 years but am still learning and also have an itch to get going ;)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

stocko75

• Quarter Acre
  • my beautiful children
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 14:18:50 »
Thanks for your replies. Have done another two hours digging today to get the weeds out. Had a chat with a few of the other guys and they said I'm doing the right thing turning over the soil and weeding.

I will wait till spring to do any other planting. I guess it all depends on how this weather goes!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 14:42:11 »
Code: [Select]
I guess it all depends on how this weather goes ..and that is the hard bit..there is not much we can do about that..rain dance is a option if its too dry.. ::) ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 16:52:51 »
What's the soil like?  If it's heavy clay you should really stay off it when it's cold and wet - not only will you compress it and destroy its structure with digging, it's also excessively hard work and the misery of battling heavy clay might possibly dent your enjoyment.  I wouldn't be in any hurry to get spuds and onions in as they won't thank you if they have to sit in cold wet ground - I'd wait until well into March you start planting.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 17:49:53 »
I would add cover any ground you dig, prevents weeds regrowing and maintains soil condition and nutrients if there's any rain! Straw is pretty good, cardboard too if it doesn't fly away  :-[

As others have said don't be tempted to plant too early. Last year some of my squash germinated on the decking after 'failing' in the propagater, caught up in a matter of weeks.... ::)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal