Author Topic: Off with their heads? (nasty weeds)  (Read 5814 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Off with their heads? (nasty weeds)
« on: September 14, 2003, 12:37:41 »
There are many conflicting ideas about how to clean an overgrown lottie; rotovate, cover, pull, dig etc. I'm not a rotovate fan but........... if someone first gets an allotment, all they want to do is start gardening, pulling out the zillion of roots will take ages even if you can get your spade into the ground.

I'd like to know what others think of this idea: Strim the whole place and rent the biggest, heaviest rotovator you can get to break up the soil. Rake the junk out and start gardening. The mega zillion root pieces of the nasties will sprout but.......................... off with their heads! Hoe, hoe, hoe and hoe again on every visit to the lottie. How can roots multiply when there's no plant to support them? Wouldn't they eventually die if you keep beheading them? Then, once the gardening fun has started you can properly clean small areas at the time. What do you think? -Ina
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re: Off with their heads? (nasty weeds)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 22:36:51 »
Oops, I feel like a fool. Just a few postings down this very same subject (dig/hoe question) was dealt with. Honestly, I had not read it before I posted the above. What prompted it was that I had just visited my friend's new but overgrown allotment and we brainstormed over how to clean it. Sorry folks for pretty much repeating what had been written before. -Ina

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 02:54:30 »
Hey - it's not such a bad idea!  Grow the weeds as a crop - OK,they'll go on the compost heap, but as long as you harvest them before they set seed?  It's not wasted effort.

All best - Gavin

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 10:41:59 »
After the advice given, I've done the hoe it all down thing.  Done it again to get rid of the first re-growth, and bought an enormous role of heavy duty polythene, which is officially called Visqueen and used as a damp proof membrane (100 sq metres for about £30) and covered the whole d**n lot - which gives me time to think and plan.  I think I'm going to dump loads of compost/manure on, cover back over, and literally cut the bed shapes out of the polythene in the spring and leave it down - instant paths that probably won't last very long, but will keep the area tidyish while I start up next spring.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 11:27:11 »
at least you'll never sound like one, Ina - Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 23:16:41 »
Well, thanks Tim, I sure thought I sounded like a fool, never mind.

Cerig, it sounds like a great idea what you are doing with the plastic covering, cutting out the beds and leaving the rest to cover the paths for as long as it lasts. The weeds will come back in your veggie beds but it is a quick job to keep them hoe-ed away. The paths between my veggie beds are stamped down earth, hardly any weeds come through, only draw-back is that after rain, the water stays on top making them slick. I keep the same paths year after year and only dig the beds every winter. On the main paths I put the straw that comes off the strawberry bed and they are now hard baked like the walls of traditional houses in Africa.

Gavin, I think you misunderstood me. The weeds will never grow big enough to 'harvest' for the compost heap. As soon as they emerge, hoe them down. The goal is to starve the roots. Or were you joking? -Ina

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 04:26:07 »
Hi Ina - not joking, just lazy :) :) :)

All best, Gavin!

PS - In fact, it's been a bit of a disastrous year on my plots; nearly two-thirds of the area trashed in one way or another by ....... vandals!  So, over the summer, I let the weeds grow, and I'm "harvesting" them now.  Along with the seven onions (out of 300+ sets planted).

I do have a nice big compost heap though!

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 22:49:37 »
Gavin, I'm so sorry to hear of the disaster on your lottie caused by vandals.   Our Allotment's boundary fence is supposed to be maintained by the Council, but "surprise, surprise" it ain't.   There are some houses which back onto one fence.   Some residents are superb people, others are just out and out villains, and so are their kids.   There is a gap in the fence which even their dog can gain access to the Allotment.  

We are not supposed to put fences round out individual plots, unless we've got livestock.   One or two are talking of putting up fences (and barbed wire !), and one has even started, round their individual plots.   If challenged by the Secretary, their argument is, that if the Council cannot protect them from vandals, they must help themselves as best they can.   When the broken fence is repaired and the vandals our out for good, then their individual fences will come down again.

Does this give you pause for thought  ???

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 22:55:16 »
By the way, Gavin.   Vandalism is not just a British disease.   I recall Ina and Clint reporting how they had, was it 39 panes out of 45 (?) of glass smashed in their greenhouse.   Apart from the horrendous task of cleaning up every shard of glass, they had the task of carrying all that heavy glass on foot.   Like me, they have no car, and I know it is not easy moving heavier things on and off the lottie.

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 01:45:43 »
Quiet tales of vegetables are foolish, but a mad man and his rats that tear vandals limb from limb? Go for the eyes RAT! Go for the eyes! YEAAAAAAARGH!

Jump on the pongs of my fork while you can, vandals. I shall not be as gentle.

Ed^

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 01:56:19 »
Pongs of my fork!  ???

Wieless keyboad woking pefectly. (R)

Ed^

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 04:42:40 »
Yo Ina

Quantom leaping here and testing my longish term memory here..... hurts a bit, but I can do this :)

How did your "Art" theme go?

If you didn't win, then maybe you should have went with the
sunflowers and corn thingmajig?

If you did win, then good job you didn't go for the Vincent..

Anyroads hope you had a good time taking part and that is all that matters., :) :) :)

cHeErS

oZzY %)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 20:28:59 »
Nothing wrong with YOUR memory Oz but a lot wrong with mine. I don't know how to tell you this........... I thought the exhibition was the last saturday in september. We took off for a week two weeks ago, came back and the exhibition was past tense. Owhowhowhooooo, missed it completely.

Colin also has a good memory but all that broken glass is something I rather not be reminded of but will never forget anyhow. This year we plan to take all the glass panes out and put them in the shed, on the other hand I'm afraid the vandals will do gymnastics on the frame and we'll have nothing to put the windows back in come spring. Also, they might brake into the shed and brake the windows in there but that will be easier to clean up than out on the lottie. Thought about building a chicken wire cage (expensive) around the greenhouse but that may be even more of an inviting challenge to the scum of the earth. We even put very short screws in the shed door so if they kick it in, they will pop out instead of the door breaking in half like a few years ago.

I think Ed has the right idea, got to sharpen the pongs (haha okay prongs then) on my gardening fork. Didn't this thread start with 'off with their heads' (nasty weeds)? It should be 'off with their heads (nasy scum of the earth vandals). Grrrrrrrrrr, I'm getting all worked up and aggressive, maybe it's the fumes of the big pile of hot red peppers I just cleaned and cut. I was wearing surgical gloves, ooooooooooh would I love to be able to rub them into the eyes of the scums that broke my door and the glass and thrashed Gavins lottie and other peoples property Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ahhhhhhhh, feeling much better now thank you. Had a good day at work, take a shower and get ready for a fun weekend. Well, first I'm down for a work turn at the lottie complex tomorrow, cleaning communal areas. paths and unused lotties. We'll start at 9 in the morning, usually with a group of 10-12 allotmenteers, meet at the club house and look like a chain gang with our tools and wheel barrows heading out for the assigned jobs.  Every allotmenteer has to take part twice a year so every saturday morning there is a work team. I just hope the Surinam lady is part of my team, she always brings goodies for coffee break. Have a wonderful weekend all! -Ina

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 20:54:10 »
YO ina

Sownds like your short term is worse than my ????????? :)

Vandals,  I remember reading your posts and the fact that you still carry on with your lottie heartened me,  apparently my site is "prone" to vandals, s hopefully :) we can have a good old natter next season ;) oh naughty naught vandals, take  sum  spuds by all means, even take sum cabbage home for your family, but please dont destroy not only our plants. but your own sense of self. ooh I iz getting a bit "dali llama" here,but remember yonks (years) ago when DL said that the world lacks compassion, You ina have loads, otherwise you wouldn't grow, and do we not grow  alongside our plants?

Definate babble alert

cHeErS

oZzY %)

Ina tell us the date for the next show then we can remind you, that is if you can remember to remind us to remind you that we have to remind you what you have reminded us to remind you.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 21:12:39 »
Ohm mani padmi ohm........... Grrrrrrrrr, it doesn't work. Compassion? I'll compassionately rub hot pepper juice in the scum's eyes (or other places for that matter) given the chance. Thanks for your compassion anyway. -Ina
Ps. O.k. I'll remind you to remind me to remind you to remind me............. what were we reminding each other off? Right, next year.

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:09 by -1 »

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2003, 21:36:44 »
Yo ina

You iz just talking from rage, and I know you wouldn't really rub hot pepper into their eyes...

believe it or not... but vandalism has been with us since the year dot and although psychology has made several advances we still havent erradicated it,  one way is to try and place yourself in the vandals shoes, and try and empathise with their anger,  maysound corny but know that loads of destructive peeps suffered from horrific abuse andhad no one to turn to, so whois responsible?  US? for turning our backs? or THEM for finding an avenue for their frustrtion?  which ever waywe look at this we are all responsible for each other...  Anna Frank believed that too...

bable alert could go on and on  and on and on and on and on but I wont :)

cHeErS

oZzY %)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2003, 23:16:27 »
Thank you for not going on and on Oz. Doesn't your orange robe get in the way when you work in your lottie? We'll keep smiling o.k?

Btw, some interesting reading about the original Vandals. They came from the eastern part of Germany and spread out all over the place in south-western Europe, northern Africa and the Mediteranian islands, trashing and looting, starting around the 2nd century AD. Not a nice people.  

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2003, 02:22:17 »
Yo ina

Orange robe lol,  my own tribe is the celts, who Plato described as " a barbaric race prone to drunkeness" fiar comment :)

Could have done with the orange robe last night, I got attacked up the town, my ribs are in a pretty bad way. my jaw hurts like and my legs are well bruised, but at least I am alive.   Feel a bit wary about going out again but know that I have to, the attack wuz unprovoked and at the mo my compassion level is zilch and I wished I had some of your hot pepper juice,  but I will be cool in a few days and the incident put down to life,  personally I blame it on our culture of binge drinking,   what we need is 24 hour opening times and  more european approach,  hey up I iz going on and on a bit....

cHeErS

oZzY %)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2003, 02:55:28 »
Oz, that's dreadful  :(  Would send you a cyber-hug but I guess that'd be too painful for you at the mo...you'll have to work hard growing some championship-size hefty parsnips or carrots & take one with you when you go to town...even if there aren't any attackers to ward off, you'll be bound to wow the girls ;D  :-* Lishka

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2003, 03:12:43 »
Yo Lish

Thanks lovely. yes in too much pain to sleep and this is going to cost me a week or two in pay, but strangely my face is unmarked so I iz still as pretty as ever :)

I love gardening I do and find it much easier to think about parsnips and the earth,  my neighbour said I should charge peeps for all the veg I give away, but she misses the point, its about planting a seed, tending it watching it grow and reaping the rewards, I feel that
"money" would taint all that,  as you know this is my 1st year and it is by far the most life changing experience I have ever had... like I have said b4,  my garden is absolute truth,  even the cornflowers are still giving it and watching the bees is a buzz :)  So all in all I iz one lucky peep even if I do babble on a bit,  anyroads I iz off to drink sum red pop and have a smoke..

ChEeRs

oZzY %)

XXX

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal